Adventures on the Oregon California & Eastern

Iron Horseman

The Quartz Mountain Squeeze (this was edited to remove a lot of railroad jargon for facebook but...)

There was heavy traffic on the road and my tour #251, the venerable ore train, pulled onto the main line in Fairport one block behind Extra 501. The extra soon pulled ahead and there was nothing but green lights going out of Lakeview. Through Dog Lake the whole crew got a treat of a good view of the lake creature which was out in full view right behind the boat house. The train had throttled up to 22 mph as it went up the valley past the hot box detector. Slid right through tunnel #4 and the town of Sycan slick as can be.

Things got interesting when we saw a flashing yellow signal approaching Bly. That isn't so surprising as normally this would mean there is a train waiting for us to pass. However, as we got to Bly the next signal was not the normal yellow, nor was there a train waiting. Instead the signal was flashing red. This means we are pulling into the siding behind a train already there. Bly is a big loop that doubles the railroad back on itself, so one can see the trains further up grade. So we have this flashing red but there are no trains anywhere in sight. That can only mean one thing. A really long wait.

We stopped at the flashing red and then proceeded at less than 5 mph into the siding watching for the caboose of what we assumed would be Extra 501 immediately ahead. Bly is a very long siding so it was no problem fitting the 80 cars of ore in behind 501. And sure enough the wait began. After about an hour, the facing train arrived. But in a way, it was worth it, as the facing train was a re-routed California Zephyr pulled by 4 rare D&RGW F units. That train is a long way from home rails.
ZephyrApproachingBly.jpg

Unfortunately after the Zephyr passed #501 did not leave. Looking across the valley again the reason was clear there was a train running one block behind the Zephyrs glowing drum head. It was not too long a wait before we saw it was the regional train #282, which rolled right on by us.

Finally the caboose of #501 pulled away from our nose as it took the main and we got to move up to the signal at the west end of Bly. We thought we would get to run the yellows and follow 501 up the hill, but it was not to be. It was another fairly long wait before train #232 lumbered by. Finally getting a green, the locos groaned to get the 80 loads of ore moving up hill once again. A herd of antelope looked on to see what all the locomotive grumbling was about as we rounded the turn toward tunnel #6.
OCnE251antelope.jpg

And then the real surprise. At the summit in Quartz Mountian there was not one train waiting but two. Extra #504 pulled by an old 4-8-4 Northern class steam locomotive, and The Portland Interchange #262 with the OC&E's youngest engineer (Josh) at the throttle. The interesting thing was that those two trains did not fit on the siding. Once again normally this is not a problem because as soon as I got tucked into the main, the #504 would proceed on behind me from whence we just came. Then #262 would pull all the way into the siding, allowing us to proceed to from whence it came. The golem in the gears was that unknown to us, train #141 the westbound Railblazer had been released to follow us up the hill. Instruction from Dispatch was that the Blazer was to pull into the siding directly behind us. The math said the two trains would fit, my eyeballs said it wouldn't. I kicked the throttle up as low is would go and still move the train, and inched it up right within a hair of tripping the next block signal. Still not going to fit. Then I realized that since #262 was already sitting in the block it was already tripped. I inched forward about 50 feet and then backed the train up back into my block where I was supposed to be. What this did was put all the slack into the train. Slack is the distance the couplers in the cars move depending on whether they are being pushed or pulled. When standing next to a train and one hears a low rumble or crashing sound move through the train, that is the slack being pulled out or put into the couplers as each car slams into the next. Since the ore train is 80 cars long and one considers 6" of slack in each plus caboose and locos taking the slack out shortened the train by about fifty feet.

As my eyeballs had told me, the locos of 141 crept in behind our caboose and was able to clear their caboose onto the track with only 10 feet of open track to spare. Putting the slack into the ore train saved the day. Note to self. Always report length to the dispatcher with all the slack taken out and the train stretched out to max size.

So thanks to slack, 4 trains were able to pass in Quartz Mountain.
Layout plan here:
http://www.gfsm.org/assets/images/OCEDiagram_Medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link needs fixing. Make a habit of checking all links after you post.

Like those mountains!!!

I don't know what you all are talking about, the link works fine! :) *snicker*

Excellent layout, great pictures. Love those D&RGW units!

Your link needs fixing. Make a habit of checking all links after you post.
Hmmm, interesting. I did check the link. Checked it at the same time I previewed the pictures (for some stupid reason my ISP has case sensitive file names which is always causing me problems). The link seems to be working fine for me. Browser issue maybe? I use Firefox.

Just another day on the OC&E Eastbound #222.

Inspecting the 3800’ length of the train #222, the crew grumbled to themselves as they noticed a block of 20 loaded ore cars mid train and three over length lumber loads with idler cars.
OCnE222-idler-flat.jpg

Such cars always require extra care and handling. On the other hand six locomotives on the point should be more than enough power to wrestle the train over the summit. Climbing out of the almost rainy weather and into the cab, the radio crackles that a fresh dispatcher coming on-line. The crew requests clearance to pull onto the departure track in Chiloquin. Permission is given. The brakes are released release. With a quick two toots on the horn the train glides effortlessly forward on throttle notch 1.

The dwarf signal shines red preventing the train’s entrance to the main. Dispatch is called and told that #222 is 3800 feet long ready and waiting to proceed onto the system from Chiloquin whenever the dispatch is ready for them. The response is “Dispatch acknowledges #222 ready for departure”. This message both acknowledges the call and politely reminds the crew of proper radio protocol of keeping the chattiness down and transmissions as short and clear as possible. The dwarf goes yellow and we proceed.

The west end of Klamath Falls signal is yellow so the train slowly moves through the deserted yard. Around the corner by the OC&E headquarters and MOW train, the crew can see the red signal at the east end of town. Just as the engineer is reaching for the brake handle the signal flashes green, so he switches to the throttle and takes it up three notches. The grade starts just to the east of town and the more momentum that can be put into the train the better. Blow grade crossing for the last road exiting the city and the train begins its assent.

Going up the hill is high greens all the way.
OCnE222-lower-helper.jpg

With this the six units of raw power on the point, a steady 19 smph was maintained all the way up without straining. Approaching Quartz Mountain the crew could see the headlamp of the 281 waiting on the siding. A high yellow signal indicated there was even more traffic to follow. Knowing this, the engineer kept the power on to clear the caboose as quickly as possible. This allowed #281 to get underway and clear the siding for the next train. Sure enough, as #281 was leaving #241 was taking the flashing red and creeping into the siding behind it. It was only a short wait before they cleared and we got a green to proceed. It only took a bit of power to get the train moving and through the snow shed. Past the Weyerhaeuser load tracks the train went to full dynamics and the locos were pushed past all the green signals to Bly. There was already a train waiting so the high yellow told the crew that once again we would be passing two trains. The waiting train was #201 the empty glow worm. Behind it was our westbound counter part #221. Of course the siding was too short for both trains so the rear was blocking the exit. We came to an easy stop with a light application of the train brakes.
OCnE222-caboose.jpg

A while later the crew could see the glow worm on the switch back climbing the hill but the rear of train #221 did not move. Another five minutes and still no motion we began to expect something was amiss. Switching the radio to the crew to crew channel the suspicions were confirmed. #221 had a break mid train and the brakes were locked. It took another 30 minutes to reconnect and air test the brakes. Soon thereafter yellows into Dog Lake were surprising but just a blip as the east end there was another green.

Passing the Lucky Lass Mine the crew was fortunate to see the last steam locomotive in regular duty on the OC&E roster, #4, working the Sycan Branch Turn. The engineer tooted the horn to great the crew.
_L7E6896.jpg
(OC&E calendar shot)

Many mile down the road more surprising was the yellow on the east end of Lake View and then a red at Nasty Flats. No one on the crew could ever remember being stopped at this signal before, but used the opportunity to enjoy watching the boats and log operation under them as the train sat stretched over the bridge of the mill pond. Come to find out a MOW yard move was blocking the tracks ahead to Fairport.

It wasn’t long before that track was cleared, the trip to Fairport was unremarkable. The crew was happy that neither the ore cars nor the special loads had caused any problems. The crew tied up the train on track #5 and headed to the local watering hole.

Nice story and photos! I remember the first time I saw a prong horn antelope......it was from a distance. I knew it wasn't a deer.....it looked so alien.

At the time of construction that was the "tallest plaster mountain" in the world. Don't know if anyone has topped 943 HO scale feet yet.

IIRC, it has been surpassed by the Lookout Mountain model at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo hotel. I think its 1500-1800scale feet high. This mountain rises 15 to 20 real ft above the layout. The layout, which is quite large, is located in the old REA building off from the terminal. One of the large hotel chains turned it into a hotel, and you can sleep in old passenger cars converted into rooms while you are there. I know at one time the HIlton owned it, but not sure now.

PS; The link worked the next day. Nice layout.

Back