Advanced planning

stooze

How far in advannce did you start planning your next layout? I ask because I am 6 years out. The reason is this. I used to be into this hobby 100% but had to give it up. Recently I began to build from scratch RC Sailboats and it sparked my interest in modelraading again. However I must wait until I can purchse my next house. Due to the economy I lost my last place but I will survive to build another day. How about you guys? :)

I dismantled my last full basement layout in 2005 and am just getting started on a new one in a new house. I didn't intend for it to be this long but that's just how things worked out.

Like Ken, I'm starting over also. I dismanteled the last one after 5 years of doing nothing with it. It just wasn't interesting because of poor planning by not considering all of my Wants!; Have to have's. Other than building scenery, it was too complex for operation and useless for train watching. So! you can be sure I'll be taking my time on this one. :D
Cheers
Willis

Sorry to hear about the loss of your last place.

I've just finished [except for scenery] rebuilding a layout I tore down in late 2009, because it had too many duckunders and narrow aisles. My guest operators were avoiding some of the most interesting areas because of that. My new one has no duckunders [except for maintenance access], wider aisles, and a longer mainline to boot!:D

I've been itching to get something started for 4 months but so far all I have on the table are ideas. Don't think I would have the patience to wait 7 years. I do expect to move at some point in the not too far off future so I can't get too form specific with my current layout. But that's what modularism is for. Is that a word? Modularism?

Now somday I'll have a nice big roomy house to. It'll have a 3 car garage and a spacious sun room. I can't use the garage for my layout because I need room for my Lambergini and my lotus. I've already picked out the colors for the walls. One mustn't allow one's garage to clash with one's Lambergini. The sun room is an obvious choice for my HO layout. It'll be at least 30 ft by 50 ft. But I have to leave room for the jacuzzi. Bikini babes like jacuzzis and I will of course have at least a dozen bikini babes hanging around.

But I am concerned that my layout will crowd my bikini babe lined jacuzzi. I wouldn't want my bikini babes to feel crowded. Perhaps if I sink the layout down into the floor. Sort of a half basement thing where the top of the layout is about floor level. Then I'll line big fluffy pillows and bean bags and such around the edge so my bikini babes can go from the jacuzzi to the layout and you know, lay out, while I play with my ...um... trains.

Yeah it's good to have long term goals. Just keep them within reach. Nothing so pitiful as a model railroader who gets so abmitious that he can't possibly ever accomplish what he sets his sights on.

I laid the track on my last layout, and ran trains, but it was unsatisfactory. I bought a house in November, I have less space restrictions now. My dedicated room is 13x15, I am planning a 10x13 around the walls. I have been planning everyday since November 1st....I have my plan developed now, so I just look at it and run scenery, and ops in my head. Just waiting for about 100 or 200 for benchwork....well, we just bought the house and it needs some minor things. Can't justify large capital expenses. I did start making trees last night though!

Silverblade, I'll bet the humidity from the jacuzzi and a lot of sopping wet bikini babes would play havoc on the scenery and electronics. Loose the babes and drain the jacuzzi, much more peaceful.

Back