Advanced Consisting and JMRI

Hello!

Is there anyone here with moderate experience with JMRI? I am trying to create some consists using Decoder Pro. I have tried to create an advanced consist using my DCC system (NCE) but it didn't work as I had expected. Basically, only the lead unit responded to any commands. It also would NOT move.

Is there something I'm missing? Thank you for your help.

I do use JMRI, but don't have much experience with consists especially with DecoderPro. I use the Engine Driver app on my phone to control locomotives and it's pretty easy to create consists in there. Simply selecting more than one loco will do the trick.

Most of my JMRI and DCC++ help comes from the forum TrainBoard.
Train Board

I do use JMRI, but don't have much experience with consists especially with DecoderPro. I use the Engine Driver app on my phone to control locomotives and it's pretty easy to create consists in there. Simply selecting more than one loco will do the trick.

Most of my JMRI and DCC++ help comes from the forum TrainBoard.
Train Board
Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I figured it out. Apparently, with ESU decoders, you need to use the LokProgrammer to build consists. That would explain why nothing was working as it should. I just need to make some tweaks and it will be fine. Again, thank you

Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I figured it out. Apparently, with ESU decoders, you need to use the LokProgrammer to build consists. That would explain why nothing was working as it should. I just need to make some tweaks and it will be fine. Again, thank you
That's NOT correct....you do NOT need the LOK Programmer to setup consists for ESU decoders.

The decoders respond to the same consist functions as any other decoder that supports consisting.

To consist with DecoderPro, you use the consist pane on each unit you want to add. You can either put each on the program track or use POM. You program each loco separate to get the consist built.
CV19 is the consist CV.
Choose your lead loco. On the consist pane, choose your consist address, TWO DIGIT only. Most people just use the last two digits of the lead loco.
Below the consist address box, there is a drop down window to choose direction and what effects you want to be active for that loco. Whether sound or just mobile, choose what you want to be active.
OK, now for the second loco, make sure it was set to travel in the same direction as the lead. Then set the consist address the same as you chose for the lead loco, last two digits of the lead. In the drop down window choose whether it is running normal(nose to tail) elephant style or tail to tail(reversed). And also choose which function are active in #2 loco.
If you have sound, you would only want engine, dynamics, and if Soundtraxx, F11 brakes which i don't think ESU has. No lights.
Then, in your throttle, choose the two digit consist address you picked and it controls both loco's.
You can add as many locos as you want by just changing CV19(consist address) in the consist box just like you did for loco #2.
Give this a try and see how you like it.

James in TEXAS

To consist with DecoderPro, you use the consist pane on each unit you want to add. You can either put each on the program track or use POM. You program each loco separate to get the consist built.
CV19 is the consist CV.
Choose your lead loco. On the consist pane, choose your consist address, TWO DIGIT only. Most people just use the last two digits of the lead loco.
Below the consist address box, there is a drop down window to choose direction and what effects you want to be active for that loco. Whether sound or just mobile, choose what you want to be active.
OK, now for the second loco, make sure it was set to travel in the same direction as the lead. Then set the consist address the same as you chose for the lead loco, last two digits of the lead. In the drop down window choose whether it is running normal(nose to tail) elephant style or tail to tail(reversed). And also choose which function are active in #2 loco.
If you have sound, you would only want engine, dynamics, and if Soundtraxx, F11 brakes which i don't think ESU has. No lights.
Then, in your throttle, choose the two digit consist address you picked and it controls both loco's.
You can add as many locos as you want by just changing CV19(consist address) in the consist box just like you did for loco #2.
Give this a try and see how you like it.

James in TEXAS
Ok. I get it now. Thanks for the help.

Another question. Is there a way to set up the consist in a way where the lead loco "changes" depending on what direction the consist is going?

For example, let's say our lead engine is #1234 and our other engine in the consist is #5678. They would be going tail-to-tail. Is there a way to make the lighting (headlight and front ditch lights)and sound (bell and horn) functions work when #1234 is on the head-end, and the same functions work when #5678 is on the head-end?

Again, thank you for the help.

RE Advanced consist with NCE:

Back