Adding Tsunami to Bachmann GS4

Artieiii

I have an older Bachmann GS4 SP daylight. The motor is shot so Bachmann said to return it for a replacement. The newer model has DCC on board. I would like to add a Tsunami 826103 which is what Soundtraxx recommends for this model.
My question: Is the Tsunami 826103 plug and play? I am guessing that the Bachmann chip comes out and the Tsunami plugs in it's place. Then I have to secure the Tsunami and mount the speaker in the tender. Is this correct? I am pretty sure that the tender has a place to mount the speaker but I am not sure about this.
-Art

I have yet to work on that locomotive, but Bachmann usually runs a 8-pin NMRA harness for their onboard DCC. What you can do, if you're careful, is to take that TSU-1000 and CAREFULLY remove some of the purple heat shrink tubing from the end of the decoder where the 9 pin JST harness is, and then remove the 9-pin harness from the decoder. Then buy a 9 pin JST to 8 pin NMRA harness (Digitrax or TCS makes these)http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Products/Harnesses/TSeriesHarnesses/THarness.htm, and plug the decoder into the 9 pin end and the harness into the 8 pin plug on the board in the tender.

I say carefully because if you cut away too much of the purple shrink on the decoder, you void the warrant with Soundtraxx. Removing the harness carefully is an accepted way of doing an installation, and requires no soldering (except for the speaker wires).

You'll need to figure out if there is room for a regular speaker enclosure (like a Railmaster Hobbies high bass speaker with enclosure), or if you'll need to use some styrene and part of the tender shell to make the enclosure.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep this post marked for review when I get the new train and Tsunami. That's exactly what I needed to know. This place is great. Most of my questions get answered/problems solved thanks to ModelRailroadForums.com
-Art

Bachmann GS4 warranty replacement on the way

I sent my GS4 to bachmann with $40 for a warranty replacement. I got a post card in the mail yesterday that said that my DCC on board replacement would be on it's way to me in about 6 weeks. Now i gotta put some money aside for a Tsunami sound board with speaker. Life is good!
-Art

I'm a Tsunami distributer, I'm also trying to install a Soundtraxx chip in my old daylight, when you sent your daylight to bachmann, you sent the tender also? I have installed a Tsunami in my Bachmann dcc equipped Mountain. The tender is larger inside than the mountain's. to gain space, I completely removed the Bachmann DCC board, this left the wires going to the loco, the tsunami comes with wire & no connector, all you have to do is splice the soundtraxx wires to the tender wires, (make sure the color code is right) since you removed the Bachmann board, you must add A current limiting resister to one lead of the L.E.D. headlight, my mountain has firebox lamp which may need a resister to control brightness. Or you can wire the Tsunami to a 8-pin connector and plug it in, I did this at first, and it worked fine, when I pulled the bachmann brd out I forgot the resister and sent my Headlight to L.E.D. heaven ......... I also wanted to ask if the new engine has the tender to loco connectors on it?

I'm a Tsunami distributer, I'm also trying to install a Soundtraxx chip in my old daylight, when you sent your daylight to bachmann, you sent the tender also? I have installed a Tsunami in my Bachmann dcc equipped Mountain. The tender is larger inside than the mountain's. to gain space, I completely removed the Bachmann DCC board, this left the wires going to the loco, the tsunami comes with wire & no connector, all you have to do is splice the soundtraxx wires to the tender wires, (make sure the color code is right) since you removed the Bachmann board, you must add A current limiting resister to one lead of the L.E.D. headlight, my mountain has firebox lamp which may need a resister to control brightness. Or you can wire the Tsunami to a 8-pin connector and plug it in, I did this at first, and it worked fine, when I pulled the bachmann brd out I forgot the resister and sent my Headlight to L.E.D. heaven ......... I also wanted to ask if the new engine has the tender to loco connectors on it?
Yes Bachmann asked for the train in it's original box so that's what I sent them (train and tender). My plan so far was to wire the Tsunami to the 8 pin connector and plug it in so I guess a resistor will not be needed. From the pictures on the bachmann website the newer tender has a connector to the loco. The parts diagram also shows holes in the floor of the tender for a speaker. I will have to wait till I get the replacement to see what size speaker will fit.

Here is a pic of the tender if you look you can see the orange connector that goes to the engine and the holes in the floor of the tender for the speaker.
74031-OOCO1.jpg
It appears like there will be more than enough room for the Tsunami and a fairly large speaker with enclosure.
Hope this helps:
-Art

In my mountain, I used a 1" round speaker, I didn't make a speaker cabinet, as I figured that the tender shell would do. I'll have to contact bachmann and see if I can get the same replacement engine, that would ease alot of headaches. My drivers won't stay quartered, althought this engine has a smoke unit. Too bad I can't get the tyco puff'n smoke unit in this one. the photo of the tender looks like my mountain, like I say you can just replace, all with the Tsunami, add current limiting resistors, solder Tsunami wires to the wires going to engine and track pick-ups, this is the way Soundtraxx tech support recommended the install, less strain on power.

Hey Texas, how the heck do i get the damn shell off the tender? I removed the only screw I see and the rear section bends down a bit but the middle seems to be attached somehow. I tried pulling the shell apart sideways a bit but no luck. I don't wanna break this new tender. Please help if you can
-Art

Hey Texas, how the heck do i get the damn shell off the tender? I removed the only screw I see and the rear section bends down a bit but the middle seems to be attached somehow. I tried pulling the shell apart sideways a bit but no luck. I don't wanna break this new tender. Please help if you can
-Art

I can't remember right now my Mountain is at work, and I will have to get there today and look at it and get back to you later, the photo of the inside, of the tender is a bachmann photo I take it, ......... wait I think, you have to take the screws out of the trucks .......

-Art

I can't remember right now my Mountain is at work, and I will have to get there today and look at it and get back to you later, the photo of the inside, of the tender is a bachmann photo I take it, ......... wait I think, you have to take the screws out of the trucks .......I remember a post that came down from tender that I had to route wiring around. If the truck screws arn't holding it on there is a screw under the front truck. I went on-line to bachmann and looked at the diagram of your tender there are one/two screws in the back of the trucks that hold the tender shell on, also there is a tab on the front of the shell. if you look at the photo you will see one of the shell posts the other on e is under the bachmann chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Art

I can't remember right now my Mountain is at work, and I will have to get there today and look at it and get back to you later, the photo of the inside, of the tender is a bachmann photo I take it, ......... wait I think, you have to take the screws out of the trucks .......I remember a post that came down from tender that I had to route wiring around. If the truck screws arn't holding it on there is a screw under the front truck.

I can't remember right now my Mountain is at work, and I will have to get there today and look at it and get back to you later, the photo of the inside, of the tender is a bachmann photo I take it, ......... wait I think, you have to take the screws out of the trucks .......I remember a post that came down from tender that I had to route wiring around. If the truck screws arn't holding it on there are screws under the trucks.

I can't remember right now my Mountain is at work, and I will have to get there today and look at it and get back to you later, the photo of the inside, of the tender is a bachmann photo I take it, ......... wait I think, you have to take the screws out of the trucks .......I remember a post that came down from tender shell that I had to route wiring around. If the truck screws arn't holding it on there are screws under the trucks. I went to bachmanns web-site there is a diagram of your tender on-line, but one should have came with your engine there is a tab on the front of the shell so must be a screw holding the back down.

Back