Acrylic paint for plastic ties

The more I looked at the ties on my HOn3 Shinohara track at Rimersburg, the less happy I was with the way they blended in with the ties on the wooden coal transfer trestle. Finally I decided before I went any further that something HAD to be done. I rummaged through my considerable stock of acrylic paints and found Plaid Paint Co. Folk Art #936, Barn Wood. It was a reasonable match for the stain my friend had used on the transfer trestle. I am not sure if the stuff is still made, but I will look about during my travels and see if I can find it, as it makes things look one heck of a lot better. I will try it on the Atlas Code 83 I am using on the standard gauge too. I just dry brush it on with a soft brush.

I recently purchased FolkArt Barn Wood paint from Plaid Paint's online store. It is not a color stocked in any store here. Additionally Home Depot , and probably any Behr dealer, sells Behr Premium Plus paint in 7.25 ounce jars for about $3.00. I have the formula numbers for their match to Barn Wood if you want. I also have several other formulas including matches to Polly Scale Rail Brown and Railroad Tie Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went by my Home Depot the other day and had five different Behr samples made up. Sweet. My Lowe's doesn't sell Behr .. but they have Olympian also available in 8oz 'sample' tins. Simply swipe the paint you need matched onto some cardstock and take it to either Home Depot or Lowes .. they can scan the swatch and re-pro it.

Here's a picture of the 5 I have. Someone on another forum had these colors scanned and matched. If I zoom the photo on my pc I can read the labels. Fortunately I cleaned the paint drips off the kitchen counter well before my wife got home. :)

PhotographyDiorama016.jpg

Back