AC Bottle Nozzles Clogging

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I keep my AC bottles in the refrigerator to keep the AC fresh. But I have one problem...the nozzles on the bottles clog tight and are impossible to clear.

Anyone have any tips to prevent this problem?

Thanks.

Greg

What I try to do is to burp out any glue and make sure I can see that the nozzle is clear of glue before putting the cap on. It does clog occasionally and then I'll use a small drill to clear the opening.

I've had some success with a sewing needle pushed into the nozzle and leaving it there while stored.

I do as Chet recommended, though I do the fingernail tap (ever seen a nurse tap a hypo?) to make sure there is no ACA in the spout. And I keep them in a jar in the fridge.

I also do as Chet does. I also found that the Gorilla brand does not dry out or clog as easily as any others that I have used.

Willie

I have had success with taping the base of the bottle lightly on the bench after use. This drives the CA down and out of the spout and keeps the spout open. If I do get a clog, I use a small drill bit to drill it out. I have hardly ever used; or, when I did use the small tubing supplied with the glue, it always clogged immediately! I have been using CA since the early 70s when "Hot Stuff" was the brand in use. I have used almost every brand there has been and more; or, less, and have settled on Pacer Technology's "ZAP" Products and of that line of products I pretty much only use Zap-A-Gap. It is slower setting; but, I have time enough to wait! Zap products seem to be the most consistent of the CAs I have used.

This has been how things have worked out for me, over many years of use. I use CA much less now, in model railroading, in comparison to when I built and flew model airplanes and in which case I was more likely to use the thin CAs.

My 2 cents!

Last edited by a moderator:
The small drill worked and opened the clogged nozzle. After use, I tapped the bottom of the AC container on a hard surface and the nozzle cleared itself.

Thanks again.

Greg

Tony:

I used to give a bottle of AC a short life expectancy and tossed many a 3/4 full bottle of AC due to a clogged nozzle. Now using the advise of the Forum members, no longer spending money needlessly.

Thanks again everyone.

Greg

If you store CA in the refrigerator I suggest you use a small narrow leftover glass bottle with a tight screw top. In a thin bottle you can stow the CA container upside down. Lately I too have been using the Gorilla Glue small containers. Not too expensive and I can get them at a local ACE rather than having to wait for a trip to the LHS. On the workbench I have a similar but shorter narrow small glass bottle where opened CA tubes go between uses.

Using a lot more CA now I am working on some resin kits.

Hi,

The best way I have found to store CA is in a air tight jar of indicating Drierite (or similar desiccant). Moisture causes CA to set so the drier the storage the better. I keep the jar on my workbench and I have no issues with bottles going bad or nozzle clogging.

Frederick

I have put unopened bottles of CA in my freezer to await their being needed. However, once opened the Pacer products simply sit on my work bench between uses. Currently I have a 2 oz bottle of Zap-A-Gap that was first opened almost 2 1/2 years ago that is still working excellent and I've never had a problem with this product. I do make sure that the cap fit's tightly and securely; but, other than that, I don't do anything extraordinary with them. I don't see any problems with keeping them in the fridge as long as they are well sealed, as moisture in the fridge is to be expected.

Back