A Rock Shop for the In-ko-pah Railroad

I just finished building and installing a new building for the town of Dos Manos, on my In-ko-pah Railroad. It's a rock and mineral shop, housed in an old, false-front wood building. It has a detailed interior, complete with working lights and a lighted display cabinet. All the rock specimens are real stone.

Here are a few pics:

wIMG_1762.jpg

wIMG_1553a.jpg

The door is a modified Grandt Line product. I added the window and an Ozarks Miniatures door knob. Everything else is scratch-built:
wIMG_1597a.jpg

The interior details really show up well at night. The hanging lamps were made from fancy "pewter" buttons and a small bead:
wIMG_1777a.jpg

wIMG_1778a.jpg

I also finished wiring up the lights in the two-story house:
wIMG_1781.jpg

You can see a few more pics on my site:
http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html

Ray, that is some fabulous work. The lighted interior of the rock shop looks just like the real thing. How did you mke all those little rocks for the shelves?

Thanks! The rock specimens on the shelves and in the display case were made by crushing real rocks down to 1/8" or smaller (mostly smaller).

BTW, the necklaces hanging on the wall to the left, are also made with real stone. I just crushed some rock even more, to a fine grit. Then I made loops of thin wire, dipped them in glue, and sprinkled on the rock grit.

Back