A Question of Crossings

HO Scale MILW

A Normal, Regular, Train Fan
Hi all, so recently, I bought some Walthers Scenemaster HO Scale Crossing flashers, and I plan to buy the Walthers Crossing Signal Control box. I think it comes with sensors. I was just wondering, what all goes into wiring crossings into the control box? Will I have to buy anything more? How do I supply power to the control box? If somebody owns this product I would be glad for info! Hope everyone is having a very Merry Christmas!

1672088972061.png

1672089082129.png

Product photos of what I got..

You will need some extra wire. As I recall, the crossing lights wire directly into the control box to the black/red/red connections. There's black and red wires connected to the crossing flashers. L&R wire directly to the track feeders, so the controller knows which way the train is coming from. These may need to be reversed if you don't get it right the first time. The control box itself gets its power from the AC accessory terminals on your power pack. DS is the common to all of the sensors, and A,B,C,&D go to the individual sensors. There's a detailed instruction sheet in the controller box, but here's a PDF here.
Note that this only works with DC, and not with DCC. Seems like I remember a resistor (supplied) that goes to the LED bulbs in the flashers. My train shed is in a building out in the yard away from the house, and I cannot check right now. The PDF does not show them.
The knobs on the left adjust the sensitivity of the optical detectors (sensors).
The control box was on backorder when I tried to get it, and I had to wait 11 months. The Walther's website shows that it is in stock right now, so you may be lucky. The controller can control up to four signals, but it can only work on a single track; no double mains which may limit it on some layouts.

Last edited:
It is also on amazon and is more than readily available. Thanks for the info on the double track main, I just changed my track plan to be mostly single track, so no problem there. I have not got it yet so I am planning in advance!

So the layout I'm building is all DC, and I plan to run some dual mode DCC engines on the layout, will having the control box connected to the track when DCC engines are running mess up the locos?

Back