A newbie from the UK

Marmight

Hi Guys,

I’ve become hooked on American Railroads...thank you Virtual Railfan!
I’m currently running an O gauge DCC British industrial layout, which will change without too much difficulty to an American Shortline as a lot of the buildings wouldn’t look out of place in an American setting. I’ve got some Weaver, Atlas and All Nation freight cars, an Atlas GP15-1, a Weaver GP39-2 and a couple of Atlas six wheel switchers which I’ve successfully converted to DCC Sound.
The British layout revolves around a cement works and a small harbour...sorry, Harbor 😉... starting to get a grip on the lingo.
The main buildings were constructed by the late Allan Downes and were originally ON30 scale which I have raised for British O Gauge and now I will have to raise again for American O!
I have some DCC questions, which I will post in the appropriate section, and hopefully someone will steer me in the right direction. It’s all a very steep learning curve, or should that be a very steep curved grade.
I’m hoping to meet many friends in here and post some pics as the conversion takes place
The last few pics are of the cement works, soo to become a corn flour mill...gives me an excuse to run tankers!
F3B20B6C-598D-405F-98DA-87CE3899DFE5.jpeg
37E4536D-DAD6-451F-A563-26C4BBDB89D7.jpeg
35952794-0E32-4A25-BE71-0D1D665EC1B0.jpeg
66C6F4F3-E536-4934-A6E2-6237F035D309.jpeg
CA227B67-1967-4ACC-9BF3-DD1036602270.jpeg
8D84C10B-0F70-4600-B8C4-2828795ADC72.jpeg

Very nice layout!

Where abouts are you in the UK?

I have a sister that lives around Bristol. She has been there for 30+ years.

And by the way Welcome!

Thanks for the kind comments and welcome. I’m in Coventry, but born and bred in Liverpool. I moved down here about 25 years ago.
Work started today on the removal of buildings so they can be raised to accommodate the extra length and height of American stock.
The cement loading plant has now become the flour loading plant, and the limestone hopper discharge plant in the background has been removed for height adjusting. The track at the back will have a piece inserted where the gap is now, that was a rotary coal discharge plant and will be replaced with a corn oil tanker filling area.
It’s all starting to take shape...
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• 1F489BBA-EE0D-4BC8-AA7D-1B381E38E939.jpeg
    1F489BBA-EE0D-4BC8-AA7D-1B381E38E939.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 138
  • CE297336-7A02-43F8-84D0-3CBD354F726B.jpeg
    CE297336-7A02-43F8-84D0-3CBD354F726B.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 130
  • B76B9C79-5868-4439-823A-890F52CF2CCB.jpeg
    B76B9C79-5868-4439-823A-890F52CF2CCB.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 143
Hi Martin. Welcome to the forum.
I am a bit further north in Warwickshire than yourself and model North American H0.
I used to belong to the Coventry Model Railway club in the old canal buildings many ( many) years ago.
Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the welcome. The Coventry MRC is still going I believe, temporarily closed for the duration of lockdown 😢
I’m a member of COVGOG Coventry Gauge O Guild, but that is also closed. I'm not sure if anyone else models North American, but it’s nice to know someone else locally does... you can’t be too far away, there is not a great deal of Warwickshire north of Coventry 😉
Cheers
Martin

Hi again Martin.
Nice to know the Coventry MRC is still going.
I am near Polesworth in the North of the county near the WCML.
After the Coventry MRC I found the Gresley MRC near Swadlincote which was nearer and was a member for many years and still visit their open days.
They have an "0" gauge layout but is based on LMS around Burton on Trent but they had for a time an American 0 gauge layout in a side extension to the main building. It was end to end with a lower 0 gauge section and an upper 0H30 line according to the 2017 exhibition guide.
I think that it is portable as I am sure I saw it at the Trent Valley MRS exhibition at Lichfield a few years ago.
The layout was not there last time I visited but I was told it was stored away.
Colin.

Hi again Martin.
Nice to know the Coventry MRC is still going.
I am near Polesworth in the North of the county near the WCML.
After the Coventry MRC I found the Gresley MRC near Swadlincote which was nearer and was a member for many years and still visit their open days.
They have an "0" gauge layout but is based on LMS around Burton on Trent but they had for a time an American 0 gauge layout in a side extension to the main building. It was end to end with a lower 0 gauge section and an upper 0H30 line according to the 2017 exhibition guide.
I think that it is portable as I am sure I saw it at the Trent Valley MRS exhibition at Lichfield a few years ago.
The layout was not there last time I visited but I was told it was stored away.
Colin.
Hi Colin,

We do a couple of classic car shows around your area, well we used to! We have three classic cars, which keep me very busy during the summer, especially when it gets too hot to go up in the loft and play trains...
I wish American 2rail o Gauge was as easy to get hold of as HO, but it might stop me spending n things that I don’t really need...but it sure looks good on the layout.
An example is I’ve just picked up an Atlas F9, which is intended for my brother, but it's so nice I might keep it even though it’s probably totally out of date for a modern railway. Maybe I can use the excuse that it’s preserved and the owners keep it on my Railway’s facilities...

Cheers

Martin

Back