A Look back at the Colorado Midland RR

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
The Colorado Midland has been of interest to me since my son and I were in Colorado a few years back and mountain biked to Hagerman Tunnel near Leadville. The tunnel and remnants of the amazing trestles leading to it are all still there in the middle of nowhere. We also saw the caboose on display in Buena Vista, Colo.

Hope someone else enjoys this video as much as I did.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The Midland is in the running for my future model railroad. We'll see! I'd like to go back out and drive/hike some of the old route and look over what's left of the Cripple Creek mining district. The other railroads in contention for a future model railroad are the Silverton RR, and the Silverton and Northern RR. Of course, the D&RGW is always in the running (and usually at the front of the pack).

It's been of historical interest to me too. Tried to backpack up the west side to the top once--fifty miles north and then east from Independence Pass--but the trek fizzled for two of the four of us. Never have been up the east side, although it'd certainly be worth a trip. I didn't know any of the trestles, or even much in the way of remnants are still standing. I do know the big trestle is down, as I've drone tripped it from Google Maps a couple of times now. Always interesting to pick out any old grades from overhead, I think.

Dunno if you are aware of it or not, but racer Sam Posey wrote a book about his own RR modeling, and his inspiration is the Colorado Midland.

MRR magazine covered his own layout back in '95, and some more of his work can be found here:

I personally remember Posey best as a sports car racer and TV analyst who worked alongside Jim McKay on a couple ABC race broadcasts. He authored at least one article I remember for Road & Track about racing around Lime Rock. Sam also teamed with Paul Newman at Bob Sharp Racing (Datsun 240Z and on up) and was the experienced guy on the team when Newman first broke into the sport, IIRC too.

But a "Grand Prix Legend*" he was not. :D

[* per the Biblio bio]

---------

BTW, and as a personal aside, I completely get the Rio Grande thing, as it's my primary inspiration and bedrock source too. Enough so that my own moniker on another forum is "Grande Gold." :D

It's been of historical interest to me too. Tried to backpack up the west side to the top once--fifty miles north and then east from Independence Pass--but the trek fizzled for two of the four of us. Never have been up the east side, although it'd certainly be worth a trip. I didn't know any of the trestles, or even much in the way of remnants are still standing. I do know the big trestle is down, as I've drone tripped it from Google Maps a couple of times now. Always interesting to pick out any old grades from overhead, I think.

Dunno if you are aware of it or not, but racer Sam Posey wrote a book about his own RR modeling, and his inspiration is the Colorado Midland.

MRR magazine covered his own layout back in '95, and some more of his work can be found here:

I personally remember Posey best as a sports car racer and TV analyst who worked alongside Jim McKay on a couple ABC race broadcasts. He authored at least one article I remember for Road & Track about racing around Lime Rock. Sam also teamed with Paul Newman at Bob Sharp Racing (Datsun 240Z and on up) and was the experienced guy on the team when Newman first broke into the sport, IIRC too.

But a "Grand Prix Legend*" he was not. :D

[* per the Biblio bio]

---------

BTW, and as a personal aside, I completely get the Rio Grande thing, as it's my primary inspiration and bedrock source too. Enough so that my own moniker on another forum is "Grande Gold." :D
Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of Sam Posey's model railroad but maybe I can track a copy of the MR article down. That would be fun to check out.

Sorry your hike didn't work out. The trestle remnants are just timbers in the woods. Most of the ROW is intact and the east portal is open. We had a blast riding up there. I bailed off pretty good not far from the tunnel but got back on and rode my old Specialized Stumpjumper FSR like I stole it the rest of the way down. That probably wasn't smart for a guy in his early 50s, but it sure was fun.

For those that aren't familiar with the Midland, here's one of the two trestles on the approach to Hagerman tunnel. Stunning!!! Walking those areas was facinating to me.
c3d13c9301590cdfb613a82a2363b453.jpg

Last edited:
Artist's rendition of the line to Hagerman Tunnel showing the trestles and snow sheds. This was real mountain railroading! The pic is high enough resolution to blow up nicely for closer study.

ASIR-196-DONOHUE-1897-HAGERMANS.jpg

Based on its mention in another thread, a copy of this is on order with Amazon. It can be had free online but a hard copy is much better in the field. Hope to get back out to Colorado soon.

42143e05d61027500bfe12f1675d2d44.jpg

Back