A Little Before and After...

elsner203

My first attempt at painting a model.

Before....
station before.jpg
I wanted to add some color to the platform railings and change the green (roof) and light blue (trim and supports) of the main station.

After
station after 2.jpg

station after.jpg

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the way it turned out! I like the dark blue better and may add some color to the main station walls, platforms and other structures in the future.

Question though...
Do you think it would look better with a matte finish or is the glossy blue good? I'm not modeling any prototype, so I can do whatever I want. Just wondering what you guys think will look better since I can't decide.

Everything looks better in matte finish I think. If you go out into the real world take a good look at everything. Even newer cars aren't really shiny unless they have just been waxed. And even then only up close to you really notice. No building has a shine to it. Even those with a brand new tin roof dull after a couple weeks. It's just the way things are.

Also, there is atmosphere. The farther something is from you the more atmosphere is in between you and the object you are looking at. It is the reason mountains fade in the distance. In my opinion, this should be modeled as well on your layout to some slight degree. An artist does it in a painting. There is no reason it should not be done on a 3D model.

For that reason, I think just about anything on a layout could stand a very thin coat of very light blue, nearly white, to dull the contrast down ever so slightly. Then a matte finish to knock down the shine. That is how I plan to paint the items on my layout.

I like the blue better too by the way. If you decide to use a matte try Krylon Matte Finish. The Testors dull coat is way overpriced.

That blue is definitely a major improvement from the off-the-shelf green. [And that color also happens to be my favorite, LOL] One thing you might want to consider is brushing on some pan pastels or AIM powder to 'de-value' the color. Any dark-colored object that sits continuously in direct sunlight gets bleached-out over time.

Back