A hidden suprise from Kato for Metra Modelers

BMR777

I'm not sure if any of you model Metra or Chicago modern day rail in HO, but I just noticed these gems posted on the Kato homepage, updated Metra equipment!

F40PH Engine - http://www.katousa.com/HO/F40PH/index.html
Bi-Level Cars: http://www.katousa.com/HO/Bilevel/index.html

These are on my list to buy when I get some spare cash. I already have some of the older RTA cars so I'm looking forward to modeling a train with both the old and new colors together, from the transition period. :)

Who else is picking these up? :)

The double deckers are beautiful... I wonder if I could use these to make Montreal's AMT cars....

Ah, yes. These look more like the bi-levels on Kato's site. The new real-life Metra cars are nearly exactly the same with the fluted sides, the Kato bi-levels are unfortunately a generation behind still, even though they're new.

If you want to create cars with the fluted sides you should look into the kits from Three Brothers Manufacturing. The company is sadly out of business but the kits can still be found once in a while. In fact, I think my local hobby shop has a few on their shelves. :)

Here's what the kit looks like when done. I've never done one, but this is someone else's build:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/data/cnw/200559234430_milwscoot.jpg

There were two versions of the bi-levels used by prototype commuter roads in the suburban Chicago area: (Before Metra) The C&NW, which ran from Chicago to Waukegan, used the smooth-sided cars. Modified E8/E9's pulled the cars outbound from the Northwestern station in downtown Chicago to Waukegan, stopping at most stations along the way. The return trip to Chicago was done with the cab-equipped bi-level leading and the engine pushing. The number of cars depended on the traffic load for the time of day, rush hours having (IIRC) four cars.

The fluted cars, now used on the Metra runs were originally Burlington cars, in keeping with the tradition of the Zephyrs. These ran on the wester suburban runs. I don't recall the exact routing, as my parents lived on the Northwestern route, and my dad took the train from his suburban home to downtown for over 50 years (even before Ben Hinammen replaced the old tea kettle 4-6-0's and Ten Wheelers/heavyweight trains with diesel/lightweight trains in the early '60's). Since I model the "Q", I know about the fluted, stainless steel cars, but wasn't too aware of their routing.

So, depending on what suburban runs you model and when, either the Kato or the fluted models are available. Nowadays, of course, the fluted ones are used by Metra, and the trains are crewed by the UP, which bought out the Northwestern some years back.

The results with the Three Bros kits are nice. Are they a fluted appliqué?

No. They are an aluminum extrusion with a wooden floor and die cast metal ends. I substituted a set of plastic sideframes from Athearn streamliners for the ones that came with the kit, as the Athearn trucks had self-contained coupler draft gear. (Not so good for pushing around curves, but there is enough weight to insure good tracking. Underframe details are zamack castings, and about the only way to secure them to the floor is with epoxy. If all of the under-floor stuff is attached, there is more than on a Kato model. I also had to eliminate the end steps in order to allow the trucks to swing fully on my 18-20" radius curves. But the Kato models don't have them either. The Three Brothers model doesn't have operating lights that come on when the car is leading, but these can be added with a bit of work. It would require taking power from the rails or installing a battery. The latter would not make for automatic reversing of the headlights, but could be handled with a SPST switch installed somewhere...probably under the floor.

There were two versions of the bi-levels used by prototype commuter roads in the suburban Chicago area: (Before Metra) The C&NW, which ran from Chicago to Waukegan, used the smooth-sided cars. Modified E8/E9's pulled the cars outbound from the Northwestern station in downtown Chicago to Waukegan, stopping at most stations along the way. The return trip to Chicago was done with the cab-equipped bi-level leading and the engine pushing. The number of cars depended on the traffic load for the time of day, rush hours having (IIRC) four cars.

Was there a difference in the cars that ran north of Waukegan??? I lived north of Waukegan in Winthrop Harbor and I remember the Bi-level cars running north and south. I also remember engines being both in the front and the back of the consist at times. They always made a cool sight between the endless auto carrier and yellow RailBox trains.

Was there a difference in the cars that ran north of Waukegan??? I lived north of Waukegan in Winthrop Harbor and I remember the Bi-level cars running north and south. I also remember engines being both in the front and the back of the consist at times. They always made a cool sight between the endless auto carrier and yellow RailBox trains.
As I never got north of Highland Park, I can't tell you, other than the fact that the locomotives of the commuter trains ran first northbound and trailed the cars and ran backwards going southbound. The last bi-level has a cab in the upper level, from which the engineer controlled the locomotive.

I was born and raised in Kenosha, Wisc. Last stop for Metra on the North line. The cars were no different from Waukegan and Kenosha. I have never seen locos on both ends, even on breakdowns. The "rescue" loco would always be coupled to the origional loco, and the train would be pushed to Chicago. I lived there from the time CNW was using E's and F's, to when RTA and Metra was using F40PH's!!! I miss those trains. The cars were all smooth side during CNW and RTA times. We didn't get the corrigated cars until a few years after Metra started, and was mixing cars from all the lines.

Oh yes, and as far as train lengths, Most normal trains were 3 to 5 cars long. The rush hour trains got up to 8 cars long. Kenosha also had the 8 car train that had the single level club car on it. That train had two club cars during CNW days. They were club cars # 553 and 555.

Back