67 years is long enough

t24
Hi !
I read your wonderful reply to my post...
Since it attracted you so much (where I wasn't quite sure it would) I will give you some ideas on how to make a shallow shelf layout still be exciting by it containing proto, 1:1 scale RR Ops/duties to keep you 'railroadin' the day away', including the non-need of (space-hogging) reverse loops, but instead perhaps employing a turntable and/or wye on one or both ends, or even midway in room corner...
Some modelers prefer watching trains run continually round and round through a circular path of some kind or other..That is 100% fine by me as it's a hobby where lots of tizeechizown rules our world of miniatures...(YourRR - Your RRules).
I though am an avid 'point to point' guy where the duties of turning trains to 'go back', or even running thru the system in reverse back home is perfectly OK and is/was done by many short lines and branch lines in the steam, interurban, and diesel eras..
For right now, I'd say, try to start collecting ideas as to dimensions and suspension of either open-grid benchwork from the floor on legs, or likely better yet, shelving..You will have to employ some vertical studs in the walls to at least anchor a rear stringer or stringers of (commonly in HO, 1x4 or 1x3), plus, 3/8" to 0.5" 3-5-ply plywood for sub-roadbed (4" wide sawed / jig-sawed path the trackage follows atop it with or without cork or foam roadbed, or ballast under same said track I.E. the 'right of way' of the RR ).
I leave you now with this:
As long as you are accepting the idea that you're not any longer going with a flat 4x6 and instead are going to go into 'open grid' and/or shelf type, along the walls benchwork, I am in your camp...If, on the other hand you choose TO go with a wide, flat board I'd advise against it due to the several disadvantages it carries for the modeler. Yet, it too is perfectly fine, if you so choose that route..It's just that I've no interest in that style and in fact would be advantageous for a non-animate, static diorama. But I think you've made it clear now, you are going to go with an active, live MRR...
In any event,
welcome back to the hobby !

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Tower 24......

I now live in west Texas but grew up in Dallas. I was processed out of the military at Ft Hood, just west of Temple.

A rich railroad history indeed. The town of Temple was named after a civil engineer for the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company. But I guess you knew that.

Keep in mind not having lot of room can be a blessing in saving money and time in building a railroad.
Just have fun.

~
As long as you are accepting the idea that you're not any longer going with a flat 4x6 and instead are going to go into 'open grid' and/or shelf type, along the walls benchwork, I am in your camp...If, on the other hand you choose TO go with a wide, flat board I'd advise against it due to the several disadvantages it carries for the modeler. Yet, it too is perfectly fine, if you so choose that route..It's just that I've no interest in that style and in fact would be advantageous for a non-animate, static diorama. But I think you've made it clear now, you are going to go with an active, live MRR...
In any event,
welcome back to the hobby !
Thanks again for the ideas and the welcome, PC! I'm glad you're on board with me so hang on... it's gonna be a bumpy ride :).

Welcome aboard Tower 24......

I now live in west Texas but grew up in Dallas. I was processed out of the military at Ft Hood, just west of Temple.

A rich railroad history indeed. The town of Temple was named after a civil engineer for the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company. But I guess you knew that.

Keep in mind not having lot of room can be a blessing in saving money and time in building a railroad.
Just have fun.
Thanks for the welcome John! My parents lived in Killeen for many years. Where are you living now?

Well, if not having a lot of room is a blessing, I am indeed blessed lol. But I'm having fun too :).

Hello Iron Horseman. That's true. I accessed their site for information on Tower24. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find two pictures of the tower, either there or anywhere else on the web.
Are you a member? Members have access to a whole lot more info than is available to the general public. If not, perhaps I can submit an information request to see if what they have on Tower 24.

No I'm not, but thanks for reminding me, Iron, and thanks for the offer but I need to get off my can and sign up there. I've pretty much got everything I need from those two images but you're right, there may additional information I could access.

t24
Have you made any decisions yet as to a kind of main line and benchwork ? Once you establish that, all else can branch off that in any way you wish, left , right, up, down.... It's merely the main line the RR need be interested in, making its way out into the land, the stations and industry spurs

Hi, PC. Bench work is on hold till we get some cooler weather. I've decided to go with your idea of a narrower shelf-type layout with a 2x8 section to start. The actual mainline on either side of Temple is a straight shot for miles and miles over gently rolling hills with few, if any, interesting scenery features. In those days, the east side of Temple virtually stopped at the MKT line and the industries and businesses were all along the west side of the main.

Tower 24 and its crossing and the MKT station about a mile to the north were the only two interesting railroad structures. There were several spurs serving small industries between them which I plan to represent and there was also an interchange track between the GCSF and the MKT which may be a problem now with the reduced width. Since there was a lot of empty space even between the industries, I plan to shrink the overall distance between the tower and the station down to about 5-6 ft.

Back