48"x72" N Scale layout help needed

PittBull

I want to create an Appalachian mountain scene with a tunnel, pastoral and light industrial setting. I'd like to have the "mountain tunnel" going along the long side of my layout which would be the "back" side of the layout. I also would like to create a "parallel" line running slightly lower on the outside of the mountain side, also along a portion of the back side.
I don't mind creating the layout as I go, albeit that I am new to the hobby but not to fine scale modeling. With that said I am looking for a track plan I could adapt.

The big question I have for you experts is how to create the incline/decline to go through the "mountain tunnel". How high can I make the mountain tunnel line? What percent grade? Where would the incline start and decline stop. I sure hope all this makes some sort of sense.

I sure would appreciate any advice, suggestions!
Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and download a decent track design program. That will let you play around with different ideas for your layout. (I like SCARM... It's free!) As for grade, general rule of thumb is try to stay under a 3% grade.

Pittbull,

First up - welcome to the addiction (err hobby rather).

"...The big question I have for you experts is how to create the incline/decline to go through the "mountain tunnel"...

This is a pretty easy thing to do. As
The big question I have for you experts is how to create the incline/decline to go through the "mountain tunnel" said, keep your grades below 3%, for N Scale, I probably wouldn't look any steeper than 2% but that depends on what engine/s you will be using and how many cars that engine/s will be pulling behind them.

To create those grades a company called Woodlands has pre formed foam grades, 1% 2% and (I think) 4%. Take a look at them and see what you think. This is certainly the easiest way to get a good consistent grade both incline and decline. Keep in mind that to achieve a 2% grade, the track rises 2" for every horizontal 100", if that help at all.

How high can I make the mountain tunnel line?

Basically, you can make it as high as you want but that will depend on how much room you have to get the grade to the height you want. Let me start that again ... N Scale is 1:160 scale, in other words 1" in the real world equates to 160" in the N Scale world. Therefore, for every 1" you go vertically, you are replicating 160" in the real world. So if you want your Mountain Tunnel Line to be, say 100' high, then that track will have to be 7.5" (give or take) high. If that is the height you chose, then you would need to work backwards from that height (with your grades) to drop down to the lowest workable height. Does that make sense?

Where would the incline start and decline stop....

Your incline would start at the lowest point on your layout OR your decline would start at the highest point on your layout.

What you probably need to do is get your bench work done. If you need help/advice on bench work just ask. In a nutshell though, the easiest way to do that is to build a "table" in the shape that your track will run (sort of) and make the top of that table out of 1/2" or 3/4" ply. Once you have that, you can then use 1" or 2" extruded foam on top of that which will form the "ground level" for your layout, then work upwards from there.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense, but I hope it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to create an Appalachian mountain scene with a tunnel, pastoral and light industrial setting. I'd like to have the "mountain tunnel" going along the long side of my layout which would be the "back" side of the layout. I also would like to create a "parallel" line running slightly lower on the outside of the mountain side, also along a portion of the back side.
How about slightly higher.

With that said I am looking for a track plan I could adapt.The big question I have for you experts is how to create the incline/decline to go through the "mountain tunnel". How high can I make the mountain tunnel line? What percent grade? Where would the incline start and decline stop.
Why do you want the mountain tunnel line to be high? If it is the low line it is easier to get into the tunnel.

I don't know how adaptable this will be as you only have 72" instead of 96" and then have twice the width. It does have the long rear tunnel marked hidden holding/ staging. Instead of the mine on the upper left, one would bring that track back down and reconnect to the main. Or with all 48" perhaps you could move the mine more toward the center and have both! This was a layout I started in 1974. Main line is 11" radius, inner loop is 9 3/4".
PINERIDG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely appreciate all of your ideas and suggestions. I started on my journey January '15 by buying an N scale estate sale. The collection had plenty of flex track, rolling stock and about 20 locos. Six can be adapted to DCC. I built my benchwork and laid down track from an Atlas plan. I had it almost 100% ballasted. The trains worked for the most part. However, I had several gaps in my track. The ballasting did not look very nice either. Being a former fine scale modeler, I knew I could do better. So I started thinking that I might sell my collection and start over in Z scale to give me more options. So I am now in the process of cleaning up my track, removing the road bed and doing more research. So please keep those cards and letters coming! :>)

Back