3D printed flat car with a pipe load

Ericsauto

I just purchased a 3D printer and have been practicing. There is so much stuff online for Ho Scale. I printed this the other day. I had to supply only the coupler and 33 wheels which I had plenty of. I Printed it all out in under 7 hours and had it built the same night. I weathered it and ran it around the track, runs beautifully! Total cost is under $10.00 . I have been doing passenger car interiors too. All in all, this is very well worth the investment. Thought I would share and I await your comments, good or bad.

20EE91A4-91A8-4996-BCC9-71FF9BEFBC0F_1_105_c.jpeg
9FEB9C18-0EBD-4F39-86AA-4B3897965439_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, I'll say it seems to be very well printed (which cannot always be taken for granted). You also say it tracks really well too, which implies--at least to me--that it's hollow, or keeps the weight low. All good.

As far as the print design itself, I'll point out only a couple improvements I might want to see: Thinner gauge strapping, and (perhaps) a strapping which conforms to the outer radius of the most upper pipe. Something which curves along the outside of the corner pipes, rather than "square out" at a right angle. Of course that assumes straps might not run outside a hard, 90 degree block too, and I'm out of my depth there. I can only guess how a load like that might be blocked at the corners--or not.

Beyond that, the only other thing I would suggest would be to attach cables to keep the whole pipe-load centered. In this case they would probably run over the top of the load and down to the stake pockets along the sides of the flatcar, in much the same way you see cables running over the outside of lumber loads stacked along center-beam cars.

As far as actually printing and getting it out there? I can only applaud. I have two 3D printers, both still unpacked, and so I have yet to print a single thing myself. So I'm happy to see it working for you.

You may or may not know we DO have a 3D printing thread here at these forums too, and a couple or three or four guys who are also cranking out prints. I would point you at it, but I can't find it at this late hour.

You will find it if you look. And more power to you. Good stuff!

Nice job. While I think that the strapping is unusual, I have seen that method several times before. My only suggestion is additional banding to keep the load centered and keep it from moving. That could be done with some black 1/16" chart tape or heavy thread running from the stake pockets up and over the load.
How rigid are the 3d printed trucks?

Well, I'll say it seems to be very well printed (which cannot always be taken for granted). You also say it tracks really well too, which implies--at least to me--that it's hollow, or keeps the weight low. All good.

As far as the print design itself, I'll point out only a couple improvements I might want to see: Thinner gauge strapping, and (perhaps) a strapping which conforms to the outer radius of the most upper pipe. Something which curves along the outside of the corner pipes, rather than "square out" at a right angle. Of course that assumes straps might not run outside a hard, 90 degree block too, and I'm out of my depth there. I can only guess how a load like that might be blocked at the corners--or not.

Beyond that, the only other thing I would suggest would be to attach cables to keep the whole pipe-load centered. In this case they would probably run over the top of the load and down to the stake pockets along the sides of the flatcar, in much the same way you see cables running over the outside of lumber loads stacked along center-beam cars.

As far as actually printing and getting it out there? I can only applaud. I have two 3D printers, both still unpacked, and so I have yet to print a single thing myself. So I'm happy to see it working for you.

You may or may not know we DO have a 3D printing thread here at these forums too, and a couple or three or four guys who are also cranking out prints. I would point you at it, but I can't find it at this late hour.

You will find it if you look. And more power to you. Good stuff!

I'll have to look for that 3D thread. I typed it in the search and found nothing, I'll look again. I use a Bambu Labs PS1 3D printer. It is very fast. The pipe load takes about 5 hours to print since it weighs 2.3 ounces. I agree with the comments, but it looks good to the average eye. I like the idea that I have little money in it so making it look beat up a bit doesn't bother me as much as a $40 -$50 car. I have so much rolling stock inventory I don't need anymore, but this brings a new level to this hobby.

Nice job. While I think that the strapping is unusual, I have seen that method several times before. My only suggestion is additional banding to keep the load centered and keep it from moving. That could be done with some black 1/16" chart tape or heavy thread running from the stake pockets up and over the load.
How rigid are the 3d printed trucks?
Thanks for the comment. The trucks are great. They are stronger than some factory ones out there. I have some ideas on the strapping, I'll post some pictures after I finish that.

Back