35 year old LGB train, inches, lights up but otherwise won't move

Dosmastr

Hi everybody,

I pulled out my old LGB to setup around the tree this year to show my son. It's been in the attic for a while.

I cranked the dial and the lights on the train lit up, it bumped maybe an eight inch. I left the dial cranked and slowly pushed the train along, normal resistance as if it was off.

There's a wire and metal tab on the bottom which I'm not sure the function of... Maybe the smoking stack? But its not making contact and I'm not certain how to fix that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Pictures would be helpful in diagnosing the wire and metal tab, but for the main running condition, I'd suggest starting with the basics: Are the loco's wheel and the track clean?

LGB's track pickups are metal tabs that slide along the rails. Is it a steam locomotive? If so, the wire may go to the tender for electrical pickup for the motor.

Pictures would be helpful in diagnosing the wire and metal tab, but for the main running condition, I'd suggest starting with the basics: Are the loco's wheel and the track clean?

I'm surprised a little schmutz would block 21v
What do you suggest to clean the tracks with? Goo gone I saw someplace?
I'll get photos when I get home

DO NOT USE GOO GONE ON THE TRACK!
Is your track brass or "silvery looking" steel?
I doubt that dirty track would be the cause - I have had my LGB set (brass rail) for 25 years and never have I cleaned the track! Disclaimer: I do live in a mostly very low humidity!

If you feel the need to clean the track - just use alcohol, or nail polish remover.

As far as the loco running problem -- we need more information!

Back