3 Stall Engine House

NWP Dave

This is a custom/kitbash for the Sonoma Mountain RR layout. It's a Timberline 3 stall engine house kit that had to be modified to fit a specific 3 track space next to the turntable on the SMRR layout. The original square exhaust stacks were replaced with custom made round stacks. The corrugated shed is an add-on the owner requested. Door hinges and nut/bolt details were add-ons. The large roof side was done 5 times due to warping issues after applying the tarpaper material. I ended up cutting the metal case/cover from a VCR to use as the roof and using a different brand of tarpaper. Although too late for this build I did get a roll of Suretape CP743 that I will use next time for tarpaper roof work. Both sides of the roof are removable for viewing the future interior. The hardest part was building the windows! I can't say how many times my fingers accidently poked through breaking the mullions. There is hardly any adhesive on those small parts! I have a few touch-up areas then I have to ship it to the owner. Wish me luck on shipping!

Attachments

• IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 62
Thanks.
I built a foam vault around it for shipping. I'm waiting to hear if it made the trip with UPS to CA.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 53
I secured all of the removable components with the extruded foam and deck screws. It kind of turned out like a puzzle.

This is a custom/kitbash for the Sonoma Mountain RR layout. It's a Timberline 3 stall engine house kit that had to be modified to fit a specific 3 track space next to the turntable on the SMRR layout. The original square exhaust stacks were replaced with custom made round stacks. The corrugated shed is an add-on the owner requested. Door hinges and nut/bolt details were add-ons. The large roof side was done 5 times due to warping issues after applying the tarpaper material. I ended up cutting the metal case/cover from a VCR to use as the roof and using a different brand of tarpaper. Although too late for this build I did get a roll of Suretape CP743 that I will use next time for tarpaper roof work. Both sides of the roof are removable for viewing the future interior. The hardest part was building the windows! I can't say how many times my fingers accidently poked through breaking the mullions. There is hardly any adhesive on those small parts! I have a few touch-up areas then I have to ship it to the owner. Wish me luck on shipping!
Excellent work, and good luck on the shipping .

Back