3’x4’ or 3 11”x 4’ , what would you do?

Twinboystrains

I have a 3’x4’ piece of plywood. Thoughts and suggestions on building either size. N scale, DC, solo operation. Branch line of a class 1 railroad. I’m leaning more towards the 3 piece as it would be easier to disassemble if I had to move. But a 1 piece layout also has its merits.

If the railroad you want is based on the constraint of the plywood size you have then I would cut the plywood into 6" wide strips and make shelf railroad (point to point) that would be (3' / 6" * 4') or 24' long. I would think you can do a lot in 24' and put more into the railroad instead of track-side or far away scenery. Instead of complete buildings, just flats on the wall. Photos could also be used for scenery.

I’m planning a out and back with switching both ways. Prefer larger than 6 inches so I can place industries and have the track meander to break up the straight lines. Running 4 axle diesels and rolling stock less than 60 feet. Minimum radius of 11.25.

I'd also go with the 3 X 12" X 4' sections. That being said - if you have access to more ply then I'd also consider going the 6 X 6" X 4' sections and use the 2' X 2' sheets of ply to "pad out areas for industry and terrain along the length of the 24' track work.

If the railroad you want is based on the constraint of the plywood size you have then I would cut the plywood into 6" wide strips and make shelf railroad (point to point) that would be (3' / 6" * 4') or 24' long. I would think you can do a lot in 24' and put more into the railroad instead of track-side or far away scenery. Instead of complete buildings, just flats on the wall. Photos could also be used for scenery.
I don't see how you could do an out-and-back with 3 x 11"x4' sections. Need a min 24"x24" blob somewhere for the reversing loop.

He might be thinking about changing the engine from one end of the train to the other perhaps instead of a reversing loop? Just guessing here of course as it depends on your interpretation of the term.

I did manage to get a 2’x4’ piece of plywood…once I break it down from being a pallet. Came under a brand new battery tester and charger. The only beat up part is the bottom cleats from the pallet jack.
putting them all together in any configuration will make a good N-scale layout. My first layout was 2'x4', simple double track loop. Then I moved up to a 3'x4' which was a single track loop with two passing sidings, then I moved up to a 2'x8' layout that went through 3 iterations but lasted for 20 years.

That is what I like about N Scale - it is versatile and gives you so many options in such small areas - it is just a fun scale to work with and to learn with and to expand with.

Hmm - now it is getting tough .... okay, how about this: tell her that your life has been threatened .... no wait, that might not be a good idea if you have life insurance and she knows about it ........... okay, more thinking to do :D :D 🍻

Back