2011 Athearn Genesis GP7/9

adsbnsf

I was at I-Hobby this past weekend in Chicago and Athearn was displaying there new GP7/9 for 2011. The rep said the website announcement will be made early 2011. It looks pretty sweet and there plan is to have a bunch of road names and actual locomotive specific detail. Can't wait for them.

122621668uppeXmpP24193_4031_9676_n.png

1226216696Pneo3Ei24193_4031_1527_n.png

1226216702hO2Zwad24193_4031_7139_n.png

122621672GWBiVbPS24193_4031_1491_n.png

122621673FfTmp39f24193_4031_3943_n.png

122622744CMS1FSJFathearn_ge_erside.png

122622745K5L1uDN7athearn_ge_erside.png

122622746Km8sZZNAathearn_ge_erside.png

122622747LqGot6Iuathearn_genesis_sp_gp9_front_over.png

how was the show this year. I was out there 2 years ago and it was pretty cool.

Hope the loco is as nice as it looks...

how was the show this year. I was out there 2 years ago and it was pretty cool.

Hope the loco is as nice as it looks...

It was my first time, but it was pretty good. Lots of company's were there. It was nice to talk to the reps and get the scoop from like Kato, Athearn, Walthers, etc.

Wow, looks awesome. I cant wait for this loco to be produced. Anyone know where I could get more info on what roads will be produced?

The model they had at iHobby was better then the one at WPM. Did you make it by the Peco booth? I was talking to the guys there about flying non-stop San Diego to London, and heading over to Beer to check out their facility.

Wow, looks awesome. I cant wait for this loco to be produced. Anyone know where I could get more info on what roads will be produced?

The Athearn rep at the show said most likely be availble in CNW, in a few road number. The man I talked also said Athearn has had a big push for CNW diesels and other smaller or former railroads like EJE, CGW, ICE, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fingers crossed for a zebra stripe Santa Fe GP7 and or GP9.

Just like the picture below, although I think I'd prefer a dynamic brake equipped GP7

gp7d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure like the look of the SP version:cool: The GP9 will likely be on top of Athearn's best seller list.

I've got to throw the question out there while the topic is on GP7's and Athearn. Does anyone know why Atlas hasn't released their GP7's again since 2007? It seems strange that they let some of their models go 4 years or more before announcing a new run. I guess it makes sense to let the demand grow, but 4 years might as well be 100 years if you are currently looking for a GP7.

The tooling for the diecast chassis got broken and Atlas decided not to reinvest money into replacing the tool and pursure other models instead. Thus inter Athearn into mix with what appears to be the GP7/9 version of the Highliner F units. Last I heard they are planning low nose versions, and possible paducah rebuild units like the GP10's of the BN and ICRR ect. All with correct road specific details. Mike

The tooling for the diecast chassis got broken and Atlas decided not to reinvest money into replacing the tool and pursure other models instead. Thus inter Athearn into mix with what appears to be the GP7/9 version of the Highliner F units. Last I heard they are planning low nose versions, and possible paducah rebuild units like the GP10's of the BN and ICRR ect. All with correct road specific details. Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Too bad for Atlas, it would have been my first choice, but nice to see that Athearn picked up where they left off and kept a good thing going.:D

Anyone know if these will be their standard RTR line or will they be Genesis?

Thanks for the info Mike. Too bad for Atlas, it would have been my first choice, but nice to see that Athearn picked up where they left off and kept a good thing going.:D

Anyone know if these will be their standard RTR line or will they be Genesis?

From what I have herd only in Genesis like the GP15-1 run, but RTR would be nice.

Back