2 throttle diagram

Alco RS11

Would like to have my yard on a separate throttle but still be able to use .ain line throttle to pull into yard. Diagram for use with Atlas throttle sector would help alot.

Easy, but I can't give a diagram right now. A single Atlas Selector 215, can control four different track sections by itself, many more if you "piggyback" them. Basically, you use the terminals on the left to input your two different throttles, and the terminals at the top to control selected track sections which are isolated from one another with insulated rail joiners. You use the green slide switch to toggle between the two power supplies. Only the (+) wire is used, the (-) or common from your two different throttles are wired together and to the common side of the track to complete the circuit.

I am not familiar with the Atlas 215, but I suspect it can be wired as a DPDT switch. I don't know if your layout is wired for common rail or two-rail. I prefer the latter as there is much less likelihood of getting shorts, albeit it requires twice the amount of wires. What I would suggest is to insulate both rails of your yard from the main. Wire the center contacts from the DPDT to the yard. Wire one side of the switch to one power supply and the other pair to the main power supply. With the switch thrown one way you can control the yard independently of the main. Thrown the other way, the yard is connected to the main so you can move a train out onto the main. I have a similar setup on my layout, except that one side of the master DPDT is connected to a DC powerpack and the other to DCC. As I generally only run one train at a time, this prevents me from inadvertently burning up the motors in my old DC engines. Same idea.

Attachments

• ad937499ad3c6814aa4804c06ebb0b5f.jpg
    ad937499ad3c6814aa4804c06ebb0b5f.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 90
and make sure if you use common rail or the atlas parts make sure each throttle has it's own transformer

Back