1-14 to 1-20 weekly photo fun...

Guilford Guy9887

Northeast Railfan
I'll start it this week.

Almost finished decaling my first gp38-3..... I'm now officially in love with doing NS and PAR
aea15d53.jpg

Nice shots, fellas, especially the 'boose in snow. :D

Grampy, I have a heckuva long walk back to the truck if its back near the end of that consist!! :eek: Nice photo.

Here's mine:

C&O Power!

alleghenynumber2res.png

Nice shots, fellas, especially the 'boose in snow. :D

Grampy, I have a heckuva long walk back to the truck if its back near the end of that consist!! :eek: Nice photo.

Here's mine:

C&O Power!

alleghenynumber2res.png

Coming from someone who consistenly shows off great pictures, thank you!

Its just a work caboose that removed from the flat car, built a "porch" out of match sticks, and placed it in the snow as a cabin :D

Littlefoot,

I was wondering what that was, a caboose, a cabin. LOL

Did you purposely scape the yellow paint off the hand rails on the NS?

Nice stuff gang! (as usual) :D

May I offer up Western Maryland # 35, a hard working chop-nosed GP9, taking a brief break while the yardmaster is at lunch!
WM35%20at%20rest.JPG

Since I have not posted anythign of relevance in the photo fun, I figured I'd do so this week.

First up we've got a teaser for something to come later this week, or next week sometime. I'm not telling what exactly it is, but if you're keen eyed you'll be able to tell.
View attachment 24146

Next is a nice Sylvan resin boxcar kit I've been working on. I hope the parts I need will arrive this week to install the brake wheel on the end, so I can weather the shell. I'm going to use Moloco brake gear. I still need to order the Moloco coupler pockets, but Walthers does not carry the parts (I think they're exclusive to ordering direct :rolleyes:).
View attachment 24147

I have Monday-Tuesday off, so I hope the Walthers and MB Klein orders arrive so I can finish up 3 Intermountain covered hoppers and start weathering.

Karl, I didn't overlook your nicely weathered diesel and the building and woodwork behind it. Very nice modeling!

Junked_streetcars.jpg

In the 1930s and 40s, several auto and gas companies (General Motors, Standard Oil, and Firestone Tires, among others) got together and acquired local streetcar systems (remember, back then mass transportation was largely a privately-run endeavor) in order to tear them out and replace them with buses.

Kevin,
In 1988 when I worked in West Virginia I lived in Belle just north of Charleston. I was selling First Aid supplies for Zee Medical. In downtown Charleston under the overpass there were about 10 old streetcars, passenger cars from the early 30's in a field next to a const. co. they were using them to store parts in. After I came back to Fla. & told a friend about the cars he went there & bought 3 of the oldest ones. he refurbished all 3 of them & they are someplace down in Miami now. Everytime I stopped there to service the FirstAid kit he would show me pictures of all of the old streetcars he had stacked on his property in Huntington, WV. He also had stacks of old Pass. car trucks that looked like new, other than surface rust. He also had piles of RR wheels & streetcar running gear. I'm sure that now most of that stuff is gone. He loved RR stuff & had a large building full of old stuff. I remember he had about 150 old lanterns hanging in the shed.
maybe someone that lives up around there can go & see if that stuff is still around. the shop was close to 5 large bridge columns that connected 3 exit ramps & there were 3 switch rail sidings right there & there were RR crossing signs facing every which away painted on those poles.

Junked_streetcars.jpg

In the 1930s and 40s, several auto and gas companies (General Motors, Standard Oil, and Firestone Tires, among others) got together and acquired local streetcar systems (remember, back then mass transportation was largely a privately-run endeavor) in order to tear them out and replace them with buses.

Wasnt that the underlying plot theme in "Who framed Roger Rabbit?"
images

To kill off the Red Car?
redcarline_bvolkner.jpg

Just history now! when I see those cars I see a growing America gone to gas loving buss nothing like a Ride on an old street car.

Here are some shots from my dad's layout. He is all about operations, not scenery :)

He models L&N in New Orleans circa 1980. I took over with my NS stuff for a little while though :)

I can't compete with the great pictures everyone has this weekend. All I did was assemble parts.................boring!!!

100_1524.jpg

Nice AC units Jerome, BLMA correct? I need to get me some of them for a few structures on my layout.

Returning to my teaser photo from Friday... People always seem to think I'm a weirdo for wanting a complete collection of back issues of the major model railroading magazines, sometimes calling it "useless dated info".:rolleyes:

This model was inspired by a recent thumbing through Model Railroader issues I recently added. This one was not that old in perspective (June 2009), however it provided inspiration and modeling help. The article, on page 41, by Lou Sassi, described how he painted a deck of a flat car to look like weathered wood.

I purchased the called for Reefer Gray, choosing Floquil over his use of Polly Scale. I painted the deck with two coats, and also did the ends of the boards. I then picked out some boards with Union Pacific Harbor Mist Gray, some Model Master Gull Gray, and another unknown Model Master gray (medium gray color, the lettering has washed off the bottle so I do not know the color's name). I then dullcoted the deck and weathered it with tan & clay brown chalks (not weathering powders). Up to this point I had pretty much mimicked the article.

I made a load using two sizes of Evergreen Styrene "I" beam, leaving the center section of the bottom row hollow, and inserting a 1.5oz weight intended for Athearn 40' boxcars. This brings the car (when loaded) up closer to NMRA spec. I painted the completed load Floquil Weathered Black, then sprayed on a super thin layer of Oxide Red to simulate very light rusting.

The load was wrapped in black Nylon thread. I noticed that steel beam loads are not really secured to the deck of bulkhead flats, rather just banded togeather. They're blocked in place with wood. I used some scrap wood strips, stained in a vinegar-steel wool mixture, which turns them more grayish. They were then CA'd to the deck, and into every other stake pocket.

The load is removable, but remains firmly in place when on the car due to the blocking and its own weight.

How do you think I did? Turns out reading back issues can provide some inspiration!:D

Back