Search results

1. Lateral-G

Wsm c-16

Thanks. Most larger steam locos have blind (flange-less) drivers. It's a bit unusual on smaller locos like this one. But it is nice to be able to take the tighter radii if needed. I had a Fujiyama brass K-36 that was absolutely gorgeous but had to sell it because it had no blind drivers...
  2. Lateral-G

Wsm c-16

That's the tsunami sound decoder....braking sounds....... :D
  3. Lateral-G

ok i tested my new big boy and....

Blackstone K-27's have had the same sound feature for years now.....plus many others.... Glad you like your Big Boy....
  4. Lateral-G

Wsm c-16

Just finished remotoring/painting/weathering a WSM C-16. Here's a few pics and videos..... Tsunami decoder and MRC speaker in the tender.... Falbhauer motor from Locodoc installed along with SoundTraxx plug Fresh from paint with Microscale decals.... Some weathering/dust...
  5. Lateral-G

Philly & Scranton HO Trackplan

Holy crap....that's a lot of track. You have a room for all that? You have got a lot of work cut out for you. I say go for the 2nd track plan. that first one may too big of a bite to chew on. -G-
  6. Lateral-G

Steal Pictures from Photobucket

I didn't say it was a violation. Just an annoyance when they use up bandwidth....
  7. Lateral-G

Steal Pictures from Photobucket

Someone 'crossposted' to my pictures on PB and caused my bandwidth limit to be exceeded and my account suspended. I went from an average of 500 views per day to over 100,000 in just a day and a half period.
  8. Lateral-G

Wiring question (feeders for DC- converting to DCC)

I got my wire spools at RS. I soldered the feeders to the outside of the rail. This is to prevent any interference with the loco and rolling stock wheels. You could also solder the feeders to the bottom of the rail. As for wiring the wye look here...
  9. Lateral-G

FastTracks question

Form what I have read (and after building a few) you could get by with just templates and the frog/point filing tool. You would need to use extra care to keep the track in gauge but it is doable. It does save some cost. the track jig allows quick set-up and assembly and a method of...
  10. Lateral-G

FastTracks question

I'm using standard HOn3 turnouts not the dual gauge HO/HOn3 ones. I had thought about doing dual gauge but those FT jigs for dual gauge are just a tad more pricey than what I wanted to spend, espicailly if I was only going to need 1 or 2. Of course if you have a lot of turnouts and the cost for...
  11. Lateral-G

Metra north central. My daily commute

You were one brave dude to ride Metro Link........hopefully it was during daylight hours :p
  12. Lateral-G

FastTracks question

I've built all the turnouts on my layout with FastTracks. I love 'em. I have #6 & #4 turnouts and #4 wyes, all code 55, HOn3. Once you build your first one the rest go much quicker. I went with Fast tracks mostly because the cost between commercially available HOn3 turnouts vs buying the...
  13. Lateral-G

My New N-scale Plan

;) <<<<< >>>>>>>
  14. Lateral-G

Metra north central. My daily commute

I used to ride on that route when it was the C&NW. My dad took the commuter train everyday from Barrington to downtown for his work. It was always a treat to ride on the upper level of the commuter car. Back in the day the even had a bar car.....
  15. Lateral-G

Newest car added to my roster

Just finished painting a Tichy Train Group ore car. Tamiya paints and Microscale decals. I used the kit trucks cut down to fit Microtrains wheels/axles. I used some plastic tubing to make a correct size journal to fit the axle tips. Kadee 714 couplers were frame mounted. -G-
  16. Lateral-G

First layout questions

You will probably have some trouble reaching over the 4x4 area from the pit and having to duck under to get in an out of the pit to get to the far side of that 4x4 might get old. I know you don't think now that you'll not need to get over there but trust me, you will. Now, if you put a...
  17. Lateral-G

First layout questions

What Stein said. You will not be able to reach anything along the long side of the layout. Can you use any other part of the room? Do you HAVE to use the 4x8 and 6x2 rectangular areas? A two foot aisle is just not practical. Do you want point to point or run continuously? A mix of...
  18. Lateral-G

check this Tie crane gondola train out!

No kidding.....hard enough to do when a crane like that is stationary......just watch Mike Rowe working one like that on Dirty Jobs (the one at the log home factory). That crane had like 10 levers to move it around......
  19. Lateral-G

Frustrations !

I have the opposite problem. I have to take my glasses off to work up close.......
  20. Lateral-G

Consisting in the prototype?

For narrow gauge ops (i.e. D&RGW) it was common practice when consisting to put the motive power in the middle of the train as well as the head. As was mentioned it helped with braking, which on steep grades and mountain railroads is a must. -G-

Back