Search results

1. M

OO vs HO

Is there a OO gauge track? All the OO gauge models (GB) use HO gauge track. Doing so means that OO gauge trains on HO track represents narrow gauge in OO. I think track in GB is standard gauge (4'-8 1/2") so using HO gauge track is narrow gauge. Standard gauge in OO scale would be .739" between...
  2. M

Fantastic model railway

Here is a video that is one of the most realistic model railways I have seen. The real action begins at 1:29. 141 R à Luzy - YouTube
  3. M

Which scale is right for me? HO/N and what advise do you have?

This may seem like a pretty straight forward question and the obvious answers are; amount of room, level of experience, rent or own, stationary or mobile. My question concerns the reliability of each scale. I am 86 and have been interested in model railroading since the early 50's with breaks...
  4. M

Realistic steam and smoke

On every steam locomotive I've seen, the smoke from the stack just "seeps" rather than exit as a "blast" Very un-prototypical. I saw a Marklin locomotive that had steam blowout from the cylinders that looked pretty good, but lacked the volume of "steam" emitted. What progress has been made in...
  5. M

Small scale garden railway

Recently, (yesterday) I saw a OO gauge model railroad operating outdoors. OO is just a bit larger than HO, but operating on the same gauge track. I'm wondering if operating outdoors in any gauge is something that could become more commonplace. It is pretty common with G scale trains, but not so...
  6. M

The difference between American and European model railroads

I am presently in the process of building a model railroad using Marklin trains. I used to operate American style railroads years ago, but have taken a fancy to European prototypes. After watching you tube train videos, my impression is American modeling stresses operation and European modeling...
  7. M

Articulated engines

I have not seen an articulated engine on a curve in person. The boilers of model articulated engines swing way out when in a curve.. Do prototype engines swing like the models do or do they just for tight radius track on model layouts?
  8. M

Die cutting machine

I have come across some machines that can cut silhouettes from card stock and thin wood, like balsa and basswood. These machines go by the names of "Cameo, Curio and Cricut". They are used by those who make craft objects, like scrapbooking, greeting cards, etc. I wonder if these machines could...

Back