Search results

1. E

Taking my Time & Exploring Layout Ideas while Playing w/ SCARM

"Simulate" as in I drew a blue blob. :) But really it took looking at the real thing to change my mind. Same really with lots of the landscaping, buildings, etc. I did a little placement in the software but I'm just going to wing it when the time comes. That said, I'm also more interested in...
  2. E

EZ Track Turnout Extending Wiring

Thanks. I went on their site and it says 28 gauge. Evidently that's hobby wire and the closest I could come is 20 gauge doorbell wire. I'm hoping that'll work.
  3. E

Taking my Time & Exploring Layout Ideas while Playing w/ SCARM

Like you, I'm back to the hobby after being lightly into it years and years ago. I dabbled a few times along the way but made the re-beginner's mistake I think maybe you're making now. And it's one I did not make this time - don't bite off more than you can chew. Planning using software is...
  4. E

EZ Track Turnout Extending Wiring

I guess Bachmann assumes everyone builds tiny layouts 'cause the wiring for their EZ remote turnouts is about 18 in. They do have 10' extenders but shaw, I need maybe three feet total for my two "distant" turnouts. Worse, they're out of stock everywhere and they cost an arm and a leg. SO...I...
  5. E

To Flex or Not to Flex

I wasn't thinking of putting cork under the EZ track fake roadbed, but next to it under track that isn't EZ track. So to put fake EZ roadbed next to "real" cork roadbed I'd need to cut off the knobs. And then there's the styling issue too. Maybe I can paint the light grey plastic?
  6. E

To Flex or Not to Flex

And in a similar vein, the kit I got has Bachmann EZ Track, with the built in roadbed in shiny light grey - yay! Not. But I'm stingy and track isn't cheap. I'm thinking of mixing EZ with cork roadbed and just cutting off the knobs that stick out of the EZ. Has anyone done something similar, mix...
  7. E

Mixing track vendors

Is it okay to mix track from different vendors? Or do I need to stick with one, say Bachmann. I've designed my N-scale with Bachmann (using AnyRail), but discovered Bachmann doesn't have a curved turnout. But Atlas does. So can I mix and match? And code. I'm guessing you can't mix and match say...
  8. E

To Flex or Not to Flex

Ooh that looks good, I'll check it out.
  9. E

How many power packs?

Hmm feeders. Okay that makes sense. I guess too, I can just learn by doing - get my track, connect it all up without any of "the goodies", do simple wiring and see what works as far as power, turnouts, etc. Almost like a proof of concept. Then do it for real once it's figured out. As for...
  10. E

To Flex or Not to Flex

I'm designing my layout in AnyRail and I got to the point where I just couldn't make the tracks meet using any combination of regular radius track (Bachmann). So finally I just removed them and used a big piece of flextrack. Seems like cheating, but then again - why wouldn't/shouldn't I just use...
  11. E

How many power packs?

Wow so it really is that simple?! And what about accessories, like lighting, signals, etc. Is it a good idea to put those on a separate powerpack?
  12. E

How many power packs?

I'm building a modest N-gauge layout, about 3ft x 4ft. I don't plan to ever run more than a single train. But everything I've read seems to indicate I need to block out the layout because the train will lose power. So do I really need to make sure the "far" part of the layout, sidings, etc. are...
  13. E

Old and New N Gauger

I have magazines and manuals and tracks dating back to the 70's when I first got into model trains. But I never did a full fledged layout. My wife got my an N-gauge set for Christmas last December and darn, I'm going to do this! Soup to nuts and no shortcuts. Have questions and I'm hoping to get...

Back