Search results

1. A

Layout height?

I am planning to order legs from Siever's for my 2' x 8' layout and they come in 40 or 48" heights. I initially thought the 40" would be plenty tall and I could sit while operating the layout, but after reading some older forum posts, am leaning towards the 48". It seems that 48" would put the...
  2. A

Looking for wire source and type

I am getting ready to wire my layout and wanted to see where others have sourced there wires for powering their layout. I looked on Amazon for 14-16 gauge wire and didn't see any solid wire. Nearly all the wire I found was stranded and tinned copper. I remember reading somewhere that solid...
  3. A

Tree size - ho scale

I am looking at purchasing trees for a 2' x 8' switching layout and received recommendations from Woodland Scenics that their premium and classic ready made trees are their most realistic. The trees I selected (fall scene) from these two lines range in size from 2.5" - 5" which in scale terms...
  4. A

Freight car selection for switching layout

I am planning to put an order in tomorrow for some freight cars to start building a collection for a switching layout. I already have the structures listed below and tried to figure out what type of cars would serve each structure. I am new to model railroading and came up with the list with...
  5. A

Kadee couplers with Athearn cars - not working properly

I have some Athearn freight cars that I purchased around 1990 and installed Kadeee magne-matic couplers. I experimented with a Kadee between the rails permanent uncoupler magnet over the weekend. The couplers will decouple when over the magnet but don't go all the way to the delayed position so...
  6. A

Switching layout - building selection

I am planning to build a switching layout and wanted to post here for any thoughts before purchasing the buildings. This will be my first layout and want to avoid rookie mistakes. The first image is going to be the more industrial/town area with the following kits along the back of the layout...
  7. A

Shelf layout questions

Hi, I am planning to build a 2' x 8" ho shelf layout (dc) something along the lines of either design below - or I have Siever's benchwork and Atlas code 100 track that I bought 30 years ago and now have time to make a layout. This will be my first layout and I wanted to post for advice -...

Back