Search results

1. camelback

Vintage Athearn Pacific Steam Locomotive - broken side-rod

I couldn't agree with you more, trailrider. I love kitbashing those old engines. I see one at a train show and think, "Hmm, what can I make from that?" I have six in my cabinet, just waiting for time and inspiration, and two in the works. And no, my Athearn Pacific isn't one of them. I'll leave...
  2. camelback

Making wire trunks more realistic

rbwhale: I did those such a long time ago I have no idea. But I recently picked up some more from Jo-Ann called 'Mold Builder' by Castin' Craft (for a different project - making molds). It seems to be the same stuff I used years ago, smells like it, too. I haven't tried that one yet, but I can't...
  3. camelback

Making wire trunks more realistic

I'm going to be making a lot (deciduous, not conifers) in the next few whatevers. I have lots of bare armatures from years ago, and I usually cover them in liquid latex, but the idea of dipping them in wax? That sounds interesting and I'm going to give it a try.
  4. camelback

Vintage Athearn Pacific Steam Locomotive - broken side-rod

When I saw your thread I ran to dig out my Athearn Pacific. Yes, the crank is made of a soft metal, and I'm not sure if soldering would do more damage than an attempt to fix it. However, in my parts bin I found another crank that may be suitable, and if I have one (although I have no idea from...
  5. camelback

Decals

I definitely agree with the 40-year-old Champs. I'm still using some I purchased in the late '70's and they work as well as the day I purchased them. And I will say that some of my old Walthers went through a flood, and after drying off they were still serviceable, although a bit shrivelled! But...
  6. camelback

3D printing help

Thank you. I got into 3d printing because I 'had to'. Our high school bought two 3d printers, and since I was the only one with a background in engineering, guess who got the task of figuring out what to do with them. So I bought one of my own (a Prusa kit) just to play around (!). I read your...
  7. camelback

3D printing help

I've used my FDM 3d printer for locos in the recent past, but I just started doing buildings and other details and I'm hooked on these, too. Here are a few of the details I'm working on, so you can see what they look like, plus some closer shots. Like the two desks/chairs (I started doing...
  8. camelback

Using 3-D printer for structures

I must admit I didn't buy my 3d printer for doing model trains, but now I use it for that almost exclusively. Today I'm doing windows. I got some old models out, houses in need of refurbishing, and decided to redo all the windows, because, well, I'm staging my layout in summer, and none of the...
  9. camelback

First Craftsman kit.....

Very nice. Early on, you said you warped the wood and flattened it out. I have a kit that received some real 'weathering' several years ago, in the form of a flood in the basement, which warped a very nice basswood building with clapboard sides. I am attempting to rebuild it, after cleaning the...
  10. camelback

My First 3D-printed Loco

Terry I'm not sure why I didn't do the doors up farther. Maybe I was concentrating on too many other things. I know also the cab roof needs to be rounder. And the pilot steps need to be wider. Etc, etc. All these things come after you build it, but if you think I'm going to make another one...
  11. camelback

My First 3D-printed Loco

About 30 years ago I wanted to build a rather unique Reading diesel engine, the only center-cabber the road had, and it was a truly awful prototype. But I fell in love with it and I knew I had to have one someday. Well, thanks to modern technology, my dream finally came true. Here are a couple...
  12. camelback

MDC/Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidations

Nice! That's my style of modeling, too. I can't wait to see the finished product. And Consolidations are my favorite; I've kitbashed five of them so far, a bit more modern than yours. Whatever works!
  13. camelback

DC Constant Lights

I also see they have a LU-66, which is what I need, but I think I'll try a 4-pin bridge rectifier with the output pins soldered together. Since the input is DC, that just acts as a diode array. You can't beat it for around $.50 and they're very small. Not reversing, but on a switcher I don't...
  14. camelback

Rail Returnee

Yeah, I used to find a lot of them when I was a kid. Great place was the PRR grade up to Frackville, where they sliced a chunk out of the mountain. I only have one engine that fits your period, my I4d in its 1903-4 configuration as rebuilt. Not a very good picture, but I don't have a layout to...
  15. camelback

DC Constant Lights

Does anybody still make a constant light module for a non-DCC engine? Like the Walthers 961, from eons ago. I'm still DC and building engines. I have a 962 (2-amp) but it is too big. Yes, I found one on EBAY, but are these still made? It can be either reversing or non, I don't care at this...
  16. camelback

Who all is shunning DCC and staying Analog control?

I had to stick my nose in on this one. Being new to the forums, I haven't had time to read everything yet, but this is a point I have to make. I'm DC, but I shouldn't be. I'm a retired electrical engineer/computer science teacher, which should qualify me for DCC, but all of my locos were built...
  17. camelback

Rail Returnee

Nice to hear from another Reading fan, Dave. I used to live along the W & N, in Birdsboro, when they brought it back into operation to service the H & K quarry. It was so nice to see trains there every day. I model the Schuylkill coal mines; grew up in Frackville (we're the original 'frackers' -...
  18. camelback

Rail Returnee

Hi, everyone. I'm Joe, and I'm returning to model railroading after a number of years doing other things. As you can see from my avatar, I'm a devotee of the Reading Railroad, in HO scale. I have a number of engines, but no layout yet; however, the room is getting built. I model both steam and...

Back