MDC/Roundhouse 2-8-0 Consolidations

CM-Fan

I bet you are thinking - wait a minute I don't remember any MDC Consolidations? You are right, this is a conversion project, back in 1987 "Model Railroading" magazine had an article on using Tyco/ Mantua boiler shells cut up to make a resemblance to the above mentioned locomotives. I model the Colorado Midland Railroad around 1900 (give or take) and can always use more locomotives for the roster. Here is my venture so far.

The tyco boiler shells before the "Purple Power" bath to strip the paint.

IMG_7627.JPG

After a good cleaning, they went to the surgery table.

IMG_7639 (2).JPG

Several of the pieces have been shortened and the sand dome location will be changed upon reaasembly.

IMG_7640 (2).JPG

While the boiler sections are small this is the perfect time to remove all molded in detail and piping as aftermarket brass will be used.

First look at the new wagon top boiler alongside an original.

IMG_7631.JPG

After some test fitting and a bit more modifacation this is the end result for now. Im very pleased the motor has ample clearance and the MDC boiler saddle still needs to be shortend.

IMG_7643.JPG

*Workbench notes - One of the Tyco boiler shells was promptly tossed into the trash after the second cut. It was not real styrene plastic but more of a "rubbermaid" plastic. The plastic (?) plugged up the saw from being so soft and I had my doubts about putty ever sticking to it.

This is my progress so far, more to come. It is pretty much a full day for me cutting one shell, removing the detail, and assembling it back together. I came into this project thinking I could probably do four a day!

Thanks for looking in.

Dave - I have 10 of the old kits I need to do something with. Something modern in my house would probably knock the planets out of alignment.

Rico - I have always enjoyed breaking out the saw and making something different. As a teenager I loved the MDC 3-1 kits. Still do just sticker shock for what they sell for.

Sirfoldalot - No race - just an assembly line to be productive. I had actully wanted to start all ten but the Tyco locomotives are tough to find and sell high on ebay.

Nice! That's my style of modeling, too. I can't wait to see the finished product. And Consolidations are my favorite; I've kitbashed five of them so far, a bit more modern than yours. Whatever works!

ok so whats the latest on this , i lived in the pikes peak area for a few years & i been on the old roadbed
love to see your progress

Back