Search results

1. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

I've found the solution to my quest for a roadbed to use for a short line operation. The attached photos - not professional, I know, but I think they suffice for illustration - show 3 different options; cork HO scale, foam N scale that's been split to 1 1/2" width at the base and the gap filled...
  2. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

Will do, flyboy. Due to the current craziness the vendor is a little slow with filling/shipping orders but expect to have the roadbed before the end of next week.
  3. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

I may have found my answer. I tried a test section of track on N scale roadbed, laid as santafewillie suggested - split the roadbed and filled the gap with spackling - and it would certainly fill the bill. However, while checking further on the 'net I came across a Rapido product that is...
  4. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

I understand that the class/size of the using road isn't the prime determinant of how roadbeds are constructed and that drainage is critical in determining how track is ballasted. However, finances certainly can be/was a determining factor, as well as speed and weight/number of trains running...
  5. KatzDad

Returning

Whew! I feel a little easier now that I know I'll have some company.
  6. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

Thanks, Willie! You're correct about the CGRR not using previously laid Class 1 trackage, so the standard 5mm high roadbed, while useable as a last resort, wouldn't be accurate. I'll try both ideas - splitting and filling the gap, and using ballast to sculpt the sides - on a test piece and see...
  7. KatzDad

Short Line Roadbed

I'm approaching the point where I can start laying down roadbed on the HO scale Chumani Gap RR rebuild. The base is CS foam board. Standard HO roadbed material - cork or foam - is too tall at 5mm to be prototypical for a short line. Has anyone used N scale roadbed for HO track? The N scale...
  8. KatzDad

Returning

After a 40+ year hiatus from model railroading - two careers and family took me away - I'm back and rebuilding my first attempt at an HO layout that's more advanced than I made back in the early '70s. The Chumani Gap is a short line based in the Appalachian foothills of NC in the '50s as it...

Back