Search results

1. DaytonPiquaRR

Nifty tutorial about bricks and stone

Well, I haven't posted in a while. Seems I have gotten side tracked (no pun intended). I have to finish a dollhouse miniature for my daughters so the layout is on hold, but due to the dollhouse ladies over at the Greenleaf forums, someone pointed out this excellent tutorial on how to make...
  2. DaytonPiquaRR

Benchwork progress

Nothing like the smell of sawdust in the morning :eek: It isn't much yet. I starting building some support structure as I am doing some design work on the actual track plan. It seems the research and consideration is harder to do than actually building the the benchwork. Here...
  3. DaytonPiquaRR

N scale dimensions

Short of going outside with a tape measure, does anyone know or have a link to somewhere that has how wide a prototypical street would be? I am laying out some streets for my layout in AutoCAD and would like to know how wide most people tend to make them in N scale (or even HO - I can back...
  4. DaytonPiquaRR

Basics of railroad operation

Since I want to get the most out of model railroading and not just building a neat layout, can anyone share simply the process of how a real railroad operates or give links to articles on the process? I would like to be able to understand that aspect of it, but since I am not currently in a...
  5. DaytonPiquaRR

List your scenery techniques you'd like to try

I was sitting here pondering and the thread about making sidewalks out of joint compound got me thinking that a lot of this commercial products we use could be substituted with something else or you could get creative and make your own scenery items. I especially like the process I've read...
  6. DaytonPiquaRR

A newby question

This is something I have thought about, but have never been able to identify. No one has ever spoken about it to me or mentioned it in the context of a conversation, but what is the silhouette in the Chessie System logo supposed to be? I thought it might be a top down view of a coupler...
  7. DaytonPiquaRR

Question: Prototypes versus fiction?

My prototype is after the turn of the century (the hundred years before now), during the steam era. The thing is, I want to base my layout on a prototype, but after manipulating the main lines and industry to fit where it makes sense and is visually interesting, I find that I have a lot of...
  8. DaytonPiquaRR

My prototype pictures - B&O RR/Dayton, Oh

I have spent a lot of time trying to decide on what I really want out of my first layout. I could go on and on about all the ideas I have, because there are just endless amounts of things one can create in a model and a layout. It is appealing to me to capture a time when things seemed a lot...
  9. DaytonPiquaRR

Yet another newby - please be gentle

Hi folks. I wished it weren't past 3am in the morning because I have had such a grand time reading the posts here that I cannot seem to want to go to bed. Without too much jaw-jacking, I am basically new to the hobby. It truly is the greatest hobby in the world and I should know because I...

Back