Search results

1. N

My FOURTH attempt. Attic... or basement?

I appreciate all of the responses. I hadn't really thought of the effect on the equipment, I guess those temperature extremes and changes could have the potential to cause damage. The attic is otherwise the perfect place, it's got a door and stairs going up to it. The environment is MUCH...
  2. N

My FOURTH attempt. Attic... or basement?

Some of you may have seen me post here before, some time ago. Well a lot has happened in my personal life (divorce and all that fun stuff) but later this year I'm FINALLY ready to start over. This time, I've learned from past mistakes and I'm ready to do this right. Which means: 1. This...
  3. N

Is my math right? (scaling)

I'm planning on doing scalescene's free kits. Apparently, it's a British company (I'm fairly certain it wasn't a while back). Now if I like the kits and want to buy some of them, they take paypal so there should be no problem with the currency conversion, but they do not have HO scale...
  4. N

Good days in the lives of model railroaders

A good day for me is having the day off work, plenty of cold beer, cool enough that it isn't 100 degrees in the attic, and something good on NPR. Bonus points if me or the cats don't manage to break something. An even better day will be when my daughter is old enough to run the trains.
  5. N

A Queation of Operation on Your Layout?

I'm JUST starting (re)building my layout, so I can only tell you what I PLAN to do, not what I am currently doing (which is building, nothing runs yet) My railroad is fictional (post-apocalyptic), but I plan to try to run it as a real railroad would. My goal is to be able to do EVERYTHING from...
  6. N

Weekend Photo fun 10/11/12 October 2008

I finally got around to starting (for a third time) my attic model. After reading some great advice here, I think the third time will be a charm. Lacking solid benchwork was my biggest problem last time, this time you could tapdance on it! I wouldn't recommend that, though, the ceiling isn't...
  7. N

What material to use for conveyor belts?

I want to add a conveyor system to my HO scale layout. I'm hoping to get a belt bewteen 7/8" and 1" wide to model Consol energy's 72" and 84" belt systems that they run in the mines around here. I actually have detailed prints on the transfers, drives and other equipment they use, but I doubt...
  8. N

Post-apocalyptic railroad

I appreciate the honest feedback. I do plan to do plenty more weathering, but not to the extent of the effects of a nuclear blast. Any equiptment in the blast would be completely destroyed, but anything in outlying areas would survive and only be subject to the effects of years of neglect. As...
  9. N

Post-apocalyptic railroad

I hope this is the right forum for this, because there isn't much to show off just yet, but I figure I can update with more pics as I get more done. So far, this is basically just a concept of the first town on what is a rebuilding effort, circa 10 or 20 years after a nuclear holocaust. The...
  10. N

Had an idea today, need a little inspiration

I don't know about that, I'm talking maybe 10 or 20 years after a nuclear war. I'm not sure what all would survive, or what all would grow back, but I would assume that the survivors would band together and try to rebuild. I would think that a lot of the old railroad equiptment would be able...
  11. N

Well the problem with steam is that outside of museums, you'd be hard pressed to find any surviving workable steam locomotives. Maybe they would have to resort to biodiesel.
  12. N

Actually what I'm going for isn't too far removed from Mad Max, except that the communities would be a lot more law and order based. Kinda like if you ever saw the movie "No Escape", there would be those who would build peaceful communities, but plenty of bandits out there to watch out for as...
  13. N

I haven't done any scenery at all yet on my layout, and I've decided to go a different way, something as far as I can tell nobody else has done (at least done and posted pictures that are easy to find). I want to model a post-apocalyptic world. Still United States, southwestern Pennsylvania...
  14. N

Constructing a patch town

Thanks for the tip, I never thought to search for company houses, and patch house turned up very little. They do seem to have some very nice kits indeed! The only problem is that with the quantity of houses I want to have in my patch (I'm really shooting for between 2 and 3 dozen), kits would...
  15. N

Constructing a patch town

I want to construct a patch town, consisting of several dozen similar houses. For those of you who don't know, a patch town (at least as it is referred to around here) is a small group of houses, all built during the same time frame by a coal mine developer to serve as housing for miners and...
  16. N

Weekend Photo Fun 12/21/07 to .........

With any luck, this will be a branch line to a big coal mine some day. The mainline and passing siding will be on the right, this is also scheduled for some day. Well THAT didn't work out so well, did it? Note to self: You suck at laying track, try harder. :)
  17. N

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

Yeah, it would pose a lot of logistical problems, but I think they could be overcame. Maybe when I get old, I'll found a retirement community for model railroaders and have a `mainline' that goes through all of the houses, and everyone would of course also have their own branches. Think big...
  18. N

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

Maybe it's just me, but I look out my attic window and think to myself that I could build a real nice bridge right into my neighbor's attic. Now I'm not going to try to talk my neighbor (who I never really talk to anyway) into an expensive and time consuming hobby, but I found it to be a pretty...
  19. N

Getting your wife involved

My wife has no interest in it yet, but I'm hoping she might as I get more done. I'm also hoping my daughter will take an interest in it, but she's not even a year old yet. I'm just glad my wife lets me use the attic.
  20. N

your layouts

Here's my plan, so far I only have one 40" radius turn down a 4% grade from the peak constructed, but I have most of the benchwork all the way there to the yard ready to go from my previous layout. This will be the THIRD time I tore the whole thing apart and learned from my mistakes, hopefully...

Back