Search results

1. P

LED strip lights?

Some time ago I read a thread about someone who had found LED lights in strips where the LEDs could be cut off individually, or any number at a time. You could solder leads to them and hook them up directly to a 12volt source as they already had resistors built in. Great for lighting...
  2. P

Source for older passenger cars?

I have a 2-8-2 Steam locomotive that I want to combine with 2 or 3 old-style passenger cars. I want it to represent a train that would give rides from a museum or similar set-up. So, I am looking for passenger cars from the late 1800's to the 1930's or so. They can be from the wooden area, or...
  3. P

Stuff in BLI steam loco box?

All, I got my new BLI steam locomotive and it is very nice. In the box, along with the loco and tender is a tube of smoke liquid and a small funnel, which are self explanatory. On the other side of the foam holder is a small bag with what appears to be a wrench/socket of some sort and some...
  4. P

BLI versus MTH quality?

I am looking at steam locomotives in HO scale with DCC. I have narrowed my search down to locomotives made by Broadway Limited and MTH. The MTH locos are more expensive, I suspect because they are all metal as opposed to metal chassis and ABS bodies. Is there a general consensus as to which...
  5. P

Appropriate DCC steam loco for South Dakota?

I am modeling based roughly on the Western area of South Dakota. Not following exactly, just in general. I have all diesel locomotives at this point, but would like to get one steam locomotive. Would like it DCC equipped and able to produce smoke and realistic sounds. HO scale. Can someone...
  6. P

LED and resistor specs/sources?

I have read dozens of posts about on here about LED lighting and resistor values for them, etc., but I'm dense I guess... I have a nice 5volt power supply feeding an auxiliary line all around my layout. I want to light buildings, street lights, signals, etc. down the road. For now, my primary...
  7. P

And yet another wiring problem - single crossover

I thought, after getting help to figure out the double crossover, that I was all set, but I guess not... The last thing I am installing on my layout is a single lefthand crossover. It is a Shinohara left crossover. I have it going from my inner main line to an inside spur line running in two...
  8. P

Report back on solution to double crossover wiring problems

After receiving copious amounts of help from the group, I said I would report back on how it turned out with my double crossover wiring issues. Briefly, my problem was that I was having locomotives stall when passing through the isolated frogs on my double crossover (DCC track). The problem...
  9. P

I give up!

I installed the second new double crossover last night. It is wired correctly, feeders on all 4 entry rails. A continuity check with the meter shows that when the switches are set for a pass straight through both ways, both rails have continuity all the way through the unit in all areas except...
  10. P

Wiring a double crossover

New double crossover on the way after my adventures this weekend. It is a Walthers DCC friendly double crossover. After having so many problems this weekend, I am now questioning myself about everything. To properly power the crossover, all I have to do is drop feeders from both sides of the...
  11. P

I'm just totally confused

I posted in the thread about turnouts, but suspect since I was at the end of the thread, that nobody read my post, so I'm trying again here. This has got me totally baffled. I have been using a double crossover for ages on my layout with no problems. This weekend I installed switch motors to...
  12. P

Double crossover - still confused

I have read all the threads I can find on this and still am a little confused. I have one question, that I think is simple, but after reading all the previous posts, I'm now not so sure. The double crossover is a Walthers DCC ready piece. I plan to activate it with 4 switch motors, wired so...
  13. P

Turnout adjustment picture?

I've got #8 Peco snap turnouts on my layout. They all work fine for the most part, but I've got one that likes to derail really light tank cars if they are backed over it. What I am looking for is a picture of a properly aligned rail when the turnout is set to allow the cars to take the...
  14. P

Kadee couplers sticking in boxes?

I did a search of the forum, but didn't find anything that specifically addressed the issue I am having. If there is such a thread and you know where it is, feel free to send me there and I'll stop bothering everybody...at least for now. :) I have some tank cars, which are really light and...
  15. P

Can an electroics guru give me an opinion on this unit?

I found a DC power supply that I think might fit my needs. Can someone who is knowledgeable about good power supplies take a look at this unit and give me an opinion on how well it will work to power my accessories...
  16. P

Computer power supply - success!, Then failure?

OK, now I'm confused. I bought a new computer power supply from Newegg to use for accessories. Followed the instructions provided earlier by one of the group to convert it for the railroad. I jumpered the green and black wires and the fans came on just fine when I turned the switch on...
  17. P

Do they make an HO scale "railer"?

Hope this is the right forum to post this in... I have seen a device that allows you to easily put N scale cars on track without standing on your head and making sure all the wheels are lined up. You just push the cars down this ramp like device and it makes sure they go on to the rails...
  18. P

Tsunami and Power Cab expert?

First, let me once again thank everyone in the group who has been helping me out. Because of your assistance, I am having more success with setting up my layout and trains than I believed was possible. I have 5 locomotives up and running and am now fine tuning everything prior to starting with...
  19. P

Shutting down idling sound on some locomotives

I have 5 locomotives programmed into my NCE controller. 1 Athearn, 1 Rapido, and 3 Walthers locomotives. When I start up the layout, all the engines go into an idling sound. I can shut down the sound on 3 of them by accessing them on the controller and pressing the emergency stop button...
  20. P

Wire gauges for accessories?

As a follow up to all my posts on using a computer power supply for my accessories... I will be running three lines around the bottom of the layout. 12 volt, 5 volt and 3.3 volt. What would the recommended wire gauges be? For my DCC buss I ran 16 gauge with 22 gauge feeders. That's handy...

Back