Search results

1. H

forclose motherload

A friend went to a garage sale Saturday, and scored big. He got about 70 pieces of code 83 Atlas Flex track, 2 Proto 2000 E units (not sure what version, they are NYC) and two NYC Proto 2000 FA's, along with about 20 freight cars, six passenger cars (Unknown brand), and a bunch of sectional...
  2. H

HO PROTO 1000 Diesel EMD GP15-1

I have this one, along with several other 4 axle Proto 1000's and they all run well, and look good too. Only recent vintage locos I've bought that don't run decently at all out of the box was a couple of Bachmann C44-8W's that had electrical issues. Both were easily fixed, bad solder joints on...
  3. H

Two from Broadway Limited...

You might be shocked if you look on Ebay. Pleasantly so.
  4. H

Two from Broadway Limited...

I have the identical F7, very nice. Last new loco I bought. Now if I only had a layout to run my stuff on...and with the taxes I'm paying out, it's going to be a long while before I have one.
  5. H

MTH Ho Trains

This kind of thread could apply to just about any hobby involving machinery or electronics. Model trains now go into both categories. I am a handgun collector, and have had some real dogs come new out of the box. Totally non functional, or one shot jammers. Send it to the manufacturer, and it...
  6. H

Anyone have any idea of what brand it was?

Well, I would if I still had it, the chassis was tossed about 40 years ago, with the motor going into a friend's steamer with the second shaft cut off. The body stuck around until I sold all my HO stuff in 1973-4. It wasn't user built, I bought it NEW at Marshall Fields in Chicago. I was just...
  7. H

Iowafarmboy-That's not it, but thanks for trying. The one I had was a can motor with double shafts, and the chassis was very thick, almost as thick as it could be and get the body on, with plates that came off to allow you to get to the guts (shafts and gears) of it. It was much simpler than the...
  8. H

Years ago, we went to Chicago a lot and I got to kind of be friends with the old guy who ran the hobby section at Marshall-Field's main store. One time, about 1969 or so, he saw me come in and he said, "Hey, I've got something for you!", and he pulled out an F-7 or maybe it was an F-9, painted...
  9. H

Is this SIMILAR ( and i do mean SIMILAR ) to a DCC power pack ?

Most of my early memories involving power packs were the circuit breaker failing to reset and taping the button down to run trains again. Later on, once I knew what I was doing, I replaced the breaker. I had a big collection of old packs in my closet.
  10. H

Running in trains/Breaking them in

I can only remember three locos failing my old break in method. Two of them were Con-Cor N scale Pacifics with a weak motor and a kind of lousy drive train. Both of them got hot very quickly, and the motors soon failed after trying to pull a couple of passenger cars. The other was an Atlas...
  11. H

why is brass soooo cheap

I looked around and found a motor that looks like it would work in the RS3, on NWSL, and on Ebay. Should be an easy swap. I had a couple of motors from old locos that would work, but I can't seem to find them. They'll turn up a week after I buy the same motor, of course. Cjcrescent-Laquer...
  12. H

Is this SIMILAR ( and i do mean SIMILAR ) to a DCC power pack ?

That was the last "Power Pack" I had before getting out of everything model RR related about 1980 or so. I was in N scale and had a large layout with several packs running it at several locations, with a big panel to switch power around. Lots of blocks and wiring back then, but it worked well.
  13. H

Led

I just bought 100 "12 volt" and 100 plain warm white for use as replacements for those always failing S-meter and dial lights in radios from a Chinese vendor on Ebay. I've bought them before and never had any problems. The colors slightly vary between LEDs, but never enough to make any real...
  14. H

Atlas flex track

I should sell the huge load I have of it. I think I have 125 Code 100 pieces in a big cardboard tube. Almost all of it's new, with about 12 used (lightly, tacked down for testing locos), with a few cut offs.
  15. H

Derailing and don't know why...

I always found that I could feel where the problem was easier than I could see it. I just run my fingers on top of the rail, then on the inside of both rails with my fingernail. Usually it's obvious.
  16. H

why is brass soooo cheap

I have some old brass locos, all diesel stuff, that I got cheap on Ebay. One, just one, an Overland SD-40 (don't have any labels on the box, so I don't know how old it is), has a drive mechanism that actually seems to be designed to really work. I took it all apart, and cleaned it all up as best...
  17. H

Unstoppable

I had to laugh when I saw "Unstoppable". Totally ridiculous. My boss asked me if it was "realistic". I laughed then too.
  18. H

Hello from NW Ohio

I recently have begun buying HO stuff again, after a long layoff. I don't even have a layout. I've got only diesels right now, mostly PC and Conrail, along with some other stuff that I just happened to like, including some old brass locos that mostly run badly, if at all. I got my first 4x8...

Back