Search results

1. S

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Can I help put you over the top? I've been lurking for a while, and have learned lots. I could use some trees, too.
  2. S

Casting cliff faces with polyfoam, questions

Thanks for the information, gents. I have used hydrocal for cliff faces, pressing into some wet plaster. I wanted to save weight on the lift out section. I will look around for slow expand type.
  3. S

Casting cliff faces with polyfoam, questions

There has been a lot of talk about cliff faces and mountains, so I’ll add to the flow. The screen n’ plaster ideas are right on, I’ve tried just cardboard strips, and not enough support alone. I’m using plaster filled molds from Bragdon, and it is a huge mess. I’m building a large lift out...
  4. S

Great! But, no steam?
  5. S

Jim, please, please hire, cajole, or hijack someone to do a rolling video of the existing layout, before you trash it. We need a full record of this amazing creation for posterity. I will definitely stick around to see your Southern Division.
  6. S

Jim, I’ve posted here before, probably about a year ago. I’m the guy making all the dumb newbie mistakes. (Cost a little money, but) I’ve learned a lot from your thread, and am always referring back to it. I recently tried out stucco for some mountain background. You’re correct; it’s MUCH...
  7. S

Jim & Chris, I recently visited my LHS, and bought the latest issue of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, paying full price. The shop owner then gave me gratis, last year’s issues, about 6! You don’t get deals like that from the internet shops. Best $6.95 I ever spent. BYW, a big shout out...
  8. S

A good topic and I have an additional question, concern. I’ve started a mountain and cast a couple of rock sections with molding plaster (from HD). If I switch to hydrocal, will it take the coloring differently than plaster? After starting I can see I need to locate at least 100 pounds and...
  9. S

Anybody have experience with track lighting?

Thank you, Beachbum and Selector. That’s exactly the info I was looking for. Yes, the heat will be an issue, and there’s no way I could afford $25 a bulb for LED’s that will probably outlive me. I will give 30W halogen a try first, so you’ve saved me some trips back and forth. ;) As far as...
  10. S

You used plastic molding? Great idea. Just wanted to drop a line to say how much fun I’ve had following this thread, and say thank you. I keep coming back for information and inspiration. Don’t quit, even if the layout is (90%?) finished! Steve
  11. S

Anybody have experience with track lighting?

Working on my first room sized layout, and a question of lighting the layout has come up. I’ve got a 14’ x 12’ U shaped, around the room bench, and have about 40% of the bench work down, and one section (about 8’) that I went ahead and finished out with a hill and a few buildings. I found that...
  12. S

Question regarding ZONA hack saw

Thanks for the info, CJr. I had figured it wasn't gonna be easy. May just cut some doweling and b=make my own handle.
  13. S

Question regarding ZONA hack saw

I just purchased a ZONA mini hack saw for some scenery demolition and rebuild. The handle came with a fine tooth blade, so I also purchased a package of course tooth blades. My question is, how I can change out the blade, short of punching the pin out, and replacing the pin after the new blade...
  14. S

Ground Cover

Field grass technique RR, I recently tried the WS field grass myself. A technique I tried was to lay out a strip in masking tape, then dousing it with hair spray to make it more “manageable”. After it has dried, break into clumps and use a set of hemostats to hold the clump in the center...
  15. S

Lets Make Yuccas Video

Nice looking yucca trees, and a good video. Thanks.
  16. S

3 ft in Washington. To quote a favorite doctor, "Damn it Jim, I'm a Modeler, not a Historian" But, you got me thinking and there were two three-footers in Washington State, the shortlived Seattle/Walla Walla line, and the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company that ran from Illwaco to...
  17. S

Weathering Peel-n-Stik Shingles

Dr. Ben's micro blaster? Very interesting. Tell us more.
  18. S

Building the Walwynn and Western layout

Looks great Waltr, Thanks for the information. Looks to be a layout crying for closeup viewing. I think that hand laid track and turnouts are beyond my abilities, but your efforts are awsume. BTW, looks like you have a gnome living under the layout!
  19. S

Thanks Jim, Let me use this lull to thank you for taking the time to inform/teach us lurkers in how to fully enjoy this great hobby. Your photos and descriptions are amazing and an inspiration. I've stated a similar layout, a HOn3 logging line in Pacific NW, got 3.5x14.5 done to the first basic...

Back