Search results

1. C

Building Mountains with Foam Board

PL300 construction adhesive, specifically for foam. Glue it and wait. As for foam, I just bought some 1" from my local building supplier but sometimes you can score some for free.
  2. C

Designing a new layout: N scale 8x10 room

Well, I moved out of a tiny basement suite and into a 3 bedroom house with a spare room all to myself. Can you say train room! I sold my old tabletop layout and have started planning a new layout. Main focuses are a longish single main line with passing sidings, an intermodal yard, small...
  3. C

Cutting Track...

I have the Xuron cutters, I cut top to bottom on N scale track. Sometimes if I'm splicing in a section I cut side to side, never seemed to make a difference. I always clean it up with a file anyways or a dremel.
  4. C

Alternate roadway materials

Steve S that road work looks great! I'll be doing some paving and concrete pads in N scale soon, I'll see if I can adapt some of your techniques.
  5. C

Simulating ground leaves

I use tea bags, my fiancé drinks tea, I'm a coffee guy. She loves chai and orange peko and I found the colours inside work very well for dead fall colours. Mint and camomile teas are good for dying leaves and dries out foliage. Wait for the bag to dry and cut it open! Heck if you aren't a tea...
  6. C

Where to buy bodies? And question about flywheels?

I didn't realize I could get a set that cheap. Maybe I'll just try to find some shells to put on them. And leave the motors alone. I was planning on eventually investing into a few good new locos since all of mine are older and used, second hand. The only one I've bought new is a Life-Like...
  7. C

Where to buy bodies? And question about flywheels?

I recently quadrupled my collection with a box of used stuff a guy at my LHS sold me as well as my dad and uncles collection of N scale from when they were kids. Most are old diesel Minitrix, F type units, I'm not really good at identifying exactly which type. I'm just wondering where I could...
  8. C

N scale buildings are missing.....?

I know it's not really a building but what about ships?? It's still a structure. Does anyone make any container ships or freighters? Seems like an actual scale model would be massive though.
  9. C

Looking to start a small layout

Oh I was just talking about the future if I do another layout. Already have my flex track all laid. Once I figure out how to post pics from my iPhone I'll post some progress pics up.
  10. C

I know, that's not what I was asking. I was wondering if he had pictures of the layout built using that track plan. I'd like to see some real examples of small layouts like this. I think next time I'm going to try using Atlas True-Track instead of flex track.
  11. C

Hey Paco do you have any pics or a link to that layout??
  12. C

Track is now all laid and soldered up! Runs fairly well. One minor issue though, my Minitrix locomotive seems to buzz sometimes going around the track. It had flywheels retro fitted by the previous owner (older gentleman who said he pioneered the technique). It almost seems like the flywheels...
  13. C

Finally started something! Ill post pics when I'm on my computer again but for now I'm just using my phone. The layout is 30"x36", plywood base and 1.5" thick insulation foam on top. Track plan is somewhat similar to the pic below.
  14. C

VERY AFFORDABLE Scenery Supplies-- Website

Pines are conifers. What I don't understand is that he seems to be buying Woodland Scenics kits, putting them together and selling for a profit.
  15. C

Attaching rock molds

Don't bother trying to "reactivate" partly cured plaster/hydrocal by adding more water. I used to try that to get more life out of a big batch if I didn't have enough working time. It just ends up messing with the cure and it turns very soft and chalky afterwards.
  16. C

VERY AFFORDABLE Scenery Supplies-- Website

Woodland Scenics tree kits put together and resold? Kinda misleading if those are the pines you receive when you order based on the picture on the site.
  17. C

Just posted in the introductory board. Had my trains packed up for the past 2 years and just dug them out on this last move. I moved around quite a bit the last two years, hopefully this place will be a little more long term. Anyways enough with the boring stuff, lets talk about trains! I...
  18. C

New Guy from BC!

Hey, I'm Cam. I live in BC, Canada. New to these forums but have been dormant on other ones for a while. I have a small collection of N scale. Trying to get a mini layout started in my studio suite just to get back into it and relearn some skills. A little about me, I'm 23, an AME-S/component...
  19. C

Well right now I'm leaning the most towards modern, diesel stuff. I really like desert racing and off road and snowboarding in the winter so I was thinking of maybe modeling a winter scene or SW desert area, maybe both. I know I jump around a lot but nothing is laid down yet so I don't really...
  20. C

Time period I'm not sure of yet. I have some WWII era stuff, some tanks and buildings. I kinda wanted to do a WWII European post war theme before. But my engine and rolling stock is all modern stuff. I also like modern too though, I could really go both ways. But for sure free lance. As far as...

Back