Search results

1. B

Narrow guage motive power

Blackstone makes undecorated engines. I don't know about the other non-brass ones being sold. FYI Blackstone is making another run of its C class engine soon so the un decorated ones will be available again. They are the only ones I know of that have DCC ready hon3 engines. Unless you buy...
  2. B

The Sherwood, Shelton & Sarazen Rwy

Really nice work on the details. Most Excellent!
  3. B

Decal barrier removed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgL5I-jYXZ0 found another video.. It looks like it should work? How nice it would be to remove the clear barrier. Especially in the smaller scales.
  4. B

Decal barrier removed!

I think you are right concerning gauging interest. If its possible that the barrier solvent isn't harmful to the paint then I would use it as well. Lots easier than trying to "hide" the barrier.
  5. B

Decal barrier removed!

Worth a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uhcacyBbsU
  6. B

FYI, Model Railroader has an improved version of Furlow's track plan on their web site. The updated plan has larger curves for better and more reilable operation. There are a few other changes that would make operation more interesting. You have to be a subscriber to access the plan in...
  7. B

There's always been a shortage of motive power for HO narrow gauge. But now is better than in the past. I have 3 Blackstone locos. All run and sound excellent. I also have a Brass K-36 that needs painting and DCC with sound installed. There were some HOn3 kits available before. Lots of...
  8. B

Airbrush Question

You can buy a small compressor from harbor freight for $60-100. Some have a regulator so all you would need is a moisture trap. A decent airbrush, dual action is approx $75-100. Not top of the line but sufficent to do decent work for several years.
  9. B

Cleaning a airbrush

If you don't plan on using the airbrush for a little while I recommend cleaning it by taking out the needle etc. Yes you can get away with just flushing with thinner etc but not always. It just so happens that when you want to use your brush and it doesn't spray right you discover that you...
  10. B

The Boobie Hatch

Very nice work. I took a look at your web site, great turorial on hydrocasting finishing. I may just have to get a store (or two etc.) from you in the future.
  11. B

Cutting pot metal

I use a cut off wheel lots in my Dremel and no you won't clog the wheel but.. I think unless you are very skilled or lucky you'll still need a file to clean and straighten the cut. If you use one of the fiber cut off wheels you normally don't need to worry about it shatering. If its just the...
  12. B

Where can i find tiny screws?

This guy has some small screws at good prices. microfasterers com
  13. B

Hobby Industry Study

Rex, looking at a catalog only tells the difference in retail prices. It doesn't reveal anything about the underlying cost of things. I can imagine a huge increase in shipping costs from the Orient to the US just to name one while compairing the 2004 and 2011 costs. I'm sure there are others...
  14. B

Hobby Industry Study

To begin with.. how do you know what the price increases are? Do anyone have actual costs from concept to product? And does that account for all the costs of doing business? breathing is a requirement, eating and water is too.. You can throw shelter in to the mix as well but. .. FORCED...
  15. B

Hobby Industry Study

I see the same type of comments expressed here expressed in my other hobby of RC Aircraft. Hobby folks, me included, seem to think that we OWN the hobby and all things included in it. The fact is we don't. We participate in the hobby and all that it offers. Regardless of how long one...
  16. B

New line of Brass Trains

Take a look at Blackstones business model and you will see how to become sucessful. They chose a subject that is desireable but not offered in RTR configuration for an offordable price. Their product is a hybrid and the price is good. The features and detail are really good. The mechanics...
  17. B

Question about radius

It may but the degree would be so slight as to hardly be noticable. Adding the weight higher would change the cg for the worse (I think). The reality is that our trains are very light and our turns very sharp in comparrison to the full scale. But.. the good news is that we don't get a...
  18. B

Question about radius

Well I'm not comparing the model world to the real world in the sense that ALL the forces are comparable. Of course one can model area a lot easier than one models mass. Our rolling stock would be LOTS heavier where it the same relative weight. This fact doesn't change what forces are in...
  19. B

Question about radius

Sorry but physics are physics.. until you get to the nano size then things do change.
  20. B

Question about radius

The only thing superelevation does is to change the effective CG of the cars and engine. This change allows them to move at a higher rate of speed through the curve. There are forces at work, centrifical, centripital, inertia and gravity. Adjusting these via superelevation from the norm...

Back