Search results

1. NY&LB

New York and Long Branch in HO

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since my last post on this thread but I thought I should let everyone know that work on the second half of my NY&LB layout is well under way. I've installed the mainline through Long Branch and am now into Red Bank. If your interested, check out my progress...
  2. NY&LB

hello all... It's been a while since I posted any updates on the forums, but I thought I would let anyone interseted know that my layout will be open for visits on Sunday October 26th, 2014 between 9am and 2pm. This is in conjunction with the annual New Jersey Layout Design/Operations SIG...
  3. NY&LB

Thanks Ron. That little cut/fill is the first significant one reached heading north from Bay Head Junction. The next one is planned for just north of Allenhust Station at the very end of the first half of the layout which is ready for track but right now holding all kinds of stuff (like a...
  4. NY&LB

The Sylvania Ave overpass now has some land to go with it. I also detailed the bridge a bit more with some tie rods and bolt heads. Work on the Shark River movable bridge has started and photos will post to the site as it progresses. Jerry
  5. NY&LB

Thanks for the kind words Joe. It's amazing how many people from all over fondly remember the old NY&LB along the Jersey coast. I like both the MTH and BLI K4s locomotives. The BLI locos seem to be bullet-proof and have given me practically no problems so far. I just wish they had the...
  6. NY&LB

Hello fellow modelers. It's been a while since I last posted here but progress continues on my NY&LB layout. Trains have been running over the completed half and track de-bugging has slowed down as most of the issues involving the trackwork have been resolved. I've now turned to the scenery...
  7. NY&LB

Construction Update Just a little update on the progress of my HO New York and Long Branch construction. I finally installed the final section of track on the first half of the double-deck layout. This was a code 70 section of flex track in the Neptune Yard and I'm now starting the wiring...
  8. NY&LB

Actually, the photos and web site are the easy part. The layout is the hair-puller. But thanks for the compliment. The web pages started as a personal log of the construction of the layout and it eventually grew into more once fellow modelers got wind of it. I plan to keep it going until I...
  9. NY&LB

Thanks I'm 6'4" so I built the layout with my working height first in mind and the mostly lower height of future operators, other than myself, second. The lower deck is 37 inches off the floor while the upper deck is 58 inches. Thats 21 inches between levels. The lower fascia is 8 inches...
  10. NY&LB

Hi everyone. Verizon pulled a fast one on me recently so I had to find a new web site host for my NY&LB construction site. You can find it at www.NYandLB.com. The old site is in limbo and I can't even delete it, let alone modify it! What a kick in the butt! I'll admit that that I'm still...
  11. NY&LB

The layout came through without a scratch. Just a tiny bit of water on the floor in one corner of the basement which is amazing considering we had over 6 inches of rain from the storm. I was more concerned last week when we had the earthquake. I was expecting to see cracks but again the...
  12. NY&LB

Thanks Joe I sure wish I had visited some of the long-gone CNJ and PRR facilities you mentioned. I still get up to South Amboy when I can and hunt around the old facilities there that are slowly disappearing. My layout construction was screaming forward until my wife's untimely death...
  13. NY&LB

Construction resumes Hello all, I've resumed construction on my NY&LB line after taking some time off to regroup and decide where to go next with the layout. Progress will pick up as summer winds down and I plan to get trains running on both decks this fall. I also updated the web site...
  14. NY&LB

I'd like to thank all of my fellow modelers who showed their support for my wife and myself over the past several weeks. It means a lot to me and helped me get through this difficult time in my life. My Mary is in Heaven now, but she is gently nudging me toward the basement to continue my...
  15. NY&LB

Pretty funny. I was planning to place an irate future homeowner (30 years in the future) at the edge of the woods along the Bay Head Loop! It looks like the 7-11 and Golds will not come to pass since I'm modeling the 1950s. How about Makin Manufacturing (concrete block), Rheingold Beer and...
  16. NY&LB

Still working on getting a track plan published to the web site. I just don't have the time to learn the CAD program I have, so it will just be a good old fashioned paper and pencil plan scanned to the computer. It'll hopefully be uploaded in the next couple of weeks. Jerry
  17. NY&LB

These led lighting strips are popping up all over the internet now. Your most cost-effective course would be to get them directly from China. A whole 16 foot reel can be had on Ebay for under 30 bucks. Just make sure you get the lighting strips with 5050 leds (they're brighter). I also use...
  18. NY&LB

FastTracks question

I purchased the HO crossover jig KIT from Fast Tracks and I think I got my money's worth. The kit comes with all of the extra stuff you should have to properly build thier turnouts including the pointform tool, pc ties, quick stiks, ect. What's nice about the crossover kit is that you can...
  19. NY&LB

Paul, Thanks for the compliments. The helix was easy to build, but I was a bit surprised to find what I thought were going to be plywood ramps (per the advertising) were actually made from MDF (medium density fiberboard). However, the construction design of the helix should prevent any...
  20. NY&LB

Hello everyone. For the past year and a half I've been constructing a faithful ( I hope) HO version of the NY&LB RR (now known as the North Jersey Coast Line) in my basement. This commuter line was jointly run by the CNJ and PRR during my modeling period of the 1950s. The last layout I...

Back