Search results

1. mydartswinger

Appalachian Mountain Coal Mining 4x8 Build

At this point it's just adding more trees, finishing the tunnel portals, and finding the right locomotive combos to run on the layout. I may do other bits and pieces here and there, but that's all that's actually planned.
  2. mydartswinger

I got it running, but not very well. All I had to do to get it running was clean the wheels REALLY well and lubricate it, and it ran a bit jerky (possibly due to my trackwork), but otherwise OK.
  3. mydartswinger

Thanks guys. The biggest thing left is more trees and finding the right combo of locos to run where. Espeefan, Unfortunately, I can't say much about the saddle tank switcher. I was doing some work on it for a friend. What I do know is that it's an 0-6-0, DC, and brass. It is an older...
  4. mydartswinger

Wow, it's been a while since I've done an update on the layout. Since it's been so long, here's a few pics of how it sits today. Hopefully, I'll get a video of it up soon.
  5. mydartswinger

Provisions for OO scale...

I run a Hornby Intercity HST 125 (Class 43 locomotive) with 2 Mk. III (maybe Mk. II) coaches and a dummy Class 43 on my layout. They take the 15" curves with ease (lots of overhang, though), and run even better on my 18" radius mainline. In a size comparison to a Walther's Hiawatha 52...
  6. mydartswinger

Body conversion to IR locos.

I can't tell from the picture, but it looks kinda like the new GE Class 70 (in Britain). Bachmann Branchline makes one in OO scale (same as Hornby, but will run on any HO track). You can find one for sale @: http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline∏=4# Scroll down the page...
  7. mydartswinger

4x8 Track Plans

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to replies. I've been kinda busy with work, plus I've been contemplating a modular N-Trak layout, but decided against that. Sammy V, Cool Layout. I like the river and the mountains, in particular. Rico, If you have a pic of your layout, I'd like to...
  8. mydartswinger

Just a quick video update of the few details that I have gotten done to it over the last few weeks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGBkwWkZ8U
  9. mydartswinger

Contemplating the "Big Switch"...

I just decided to make the switch (more like addition) to N scale myself. When I first got back into trains last fall, I dabbled with N scale, but found it too sensitive for what I was using it for (essentially a desktop loop to run trains on while I was sitting at the computer), and sold off...
  10. mydartswinger

4x8 Track Plans

Good evening all, I posted this on another forum, but since it's my first post there, it hasn't shown up yet. I figured I'd go ahead and post it here to reach a different audience as well. I've been constructing an HO scale layout that is a modern coal mine based in an Appalachian Mountain...
  11. mydartswinger

I'm actually a member of a local model railroad club. I'll have to check and see if any of them have any of these locos. Most of these guys tend to model the transition era, but do have some newer and older locos. Unfortunately, neither LHS here would let me take one home for layout test run...
  12. mydartswinger

I might give a GP7 or similar a shot at some point. Right now, though, SW engines are doing me well. I don't want to take too much of a chance of ruining the reliability at this point. That being said, my latest update video is posted. It's located @: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJ-YPvT75k
  13. mydartswinger

Yep, they're the same height. I use a Kadee coupler gauge on all of my locos and rolling stock to ensure that they are all within standard. I've found that I have fewer uncoupling issues when I do this. Really (once the height is set) the only modifications I do to the couplers are to upgrade...
  14. mydartswinger

Checked the gauge of the wheels on the GPs. They are in gauge. After snooping around the internet and reading about other layouts with 15" radius curves, I think that the 15" curves are just a bit too tight for the Athearn GPs. I don't believe that there's enough travel in the trucks to allow...
  15. mydartswinger

Checked the track width with an NMRA gauge. Through all but one spot in the curve, the track is just a very little bit wide (less than the thickness of a mechanical pencil lead). The one spot that it's not is the main spot that it's currently derailing at. At that point, it's just narrow...
  16. mydartswinger

Not where it's derailing. There are 4% grades elsewhere on the line.
  17. mydartswinger

OK, I'm starting to get a bit PO'd a bit. It's most likely my fault due to my inexperience and/or impatience, but it's seriously starting to get in the way of my enjoyment of the layout I've worked so long to build. The derailment issues that I thought that I had fixed have returned. In one...
  18. mydartswinger

Last ones for the day. I'll add the other trees (maybe get a couple more tree kits) later this week. I figured that since I just posted a video update Friday, it was a bit too soon to do another video, so I'll save that one for the next major update (hopefully next weekend). Shannon
  19. mydartswinger

Just figured I'd share a few scenic vignettes of some of the items mentioned in my previous post.
  20. mydartswinger

Thanks guys. Chemdog, Yep, I'm stationed at Bragg, the Army's black hole. Brown round, huh? Thankfully, that thing don't phase me anymore (been in 8 years). As for the layout, I picked up some more supplies this afternoon at the hobby shop. Today's trip pretty much got me maxed out for...

Back