Search results

1. rgmccau

Newbie with an exploding head!

as has been said above - Simple answer is Keep it Simple. - Use the track that is easiest for you to find, and is easiest for you to put together, and works with the trains you have to run. - Start small and go from there. Don't try to build the dream layout on day 1. - Don't be afraid to...
  2. rgmccau

Use of flex track, please help !

The simple answer is: Yes, you have to trim the longer rail. The trick is to be careful that the join (both rails) to the next track is smooth, not a kink.
  3. rgmccau

What's this diesel?

Hammersley Iron in Western Australia bought the demonstrator - I believe it is on display somewhere over there still. Ross McConchie Canberra, Australia
  4. rgmccau

I came, I saw, I planned a layout,...

Yea, I was in two minds whether to start a new thread, or post on his, also it was 3am, so... Probably I will start a new thread, possibly when i have a few more photos, and maybe finished the track and general building work on the top level (scenery will be "eventually"). In a few days (going...
  5. rgmccau

Yes, sitting in my garage, hidden somewhere in the pile of stuff my son is storing there...:( Ross
  6. rgmccau

New around the walls layout

Plan for Upper Deck http://www.flickr.com/photos/40463817@N07/6842038713/
  7. rgmccau

New around the walls layout

Round the wall layout - under construction I pulled my existing layout apart before Christmas, and started again :eek:, as I wanted to be able to "watch the trains go by" (previous layout was end-to-end :confused:). So I'm now building around the walls in (half of) the lounge room, in a space...
  8. rgmccau

Double stack leaning problem

I put small pieces of styrene (4mm long x 2mm wide x 1mm high) crossways on the angled bogie supports half way between the bogie pivot and the outside edge. This limits how far the cars can tip without needing to overtighten the screws.
  9. rgmccau

SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Mixy Loaded SCRAM to try it out. Works for me, although I don't intend to use it for significant project, just for mucking around, but well done. Comments on usability/things you could put in (although I haven't read the instructions, so I may be missing things): - I like the flex track...
  10. rgmccau

I will have to check my memory. :-(
  11. rgmccau

Stein Yes, turnouts will be handlaid. I agree about the general length and cramped conditions - that will just have to wait for trial and error. On the 2 wharf sidings - that what's on the prototype! Still in existence today. Photos on the internet from the 1950s seem to agree, although...
  12. rgmccau

Modelling - OO vs HO As I mentioned, the layout will be OO, so some visual indications. First up, illustration of the difference between Australian and US loading guages. On the left is a HO model (Powerline) of an Australin 830 class DL351 Alco, on the right an Athearn SW7. These are both...
  13. rgmccau

Modelling - Baseboard number 1 Ok, without any further thought, I jumped in and started making things, just to see if it would work/look ok. First up, Princes Wharf. Sides of baseboard will represent sides of wharf. Ledge at bottom will be water level. Box shows relative size of...
  14. rgmccau

Layout Version 2 In the 6 months since I drew the original plan, I did some fiddling around, including trial and error on some pieces of board with actual track, and I revised things a bit. Main changes are: - Rather than try and fit an impossible curve from "Wharf 2" across the front...
  15. rgmccau

Quick response to questions so far - "Hobart factor" is the thing that hopefully will make people who look at the layout say "Oh, look it's a model of Hobart". In this case, the 2 bridges, Princes Wharf & the surrounding (backscene) stone buildings - although the physical orientation may not...
  16. rgmccau

Layout Version 1 This is the original design I drew up in Tasmania. The layout includes: - Both road/rail bridges across the front. This is to provide the "Hobart" factor. - 2 piers extending out from the layout, with the baseboard sides representing the edge of the pier. The pier...
  17. rgmccau

First, what drew my attention... Inspiration 1 - The track (now unused...unusable?), set into the roadway, appears from behind a warehouse (actually the Customs shed), makes a sharp 90 degree left turn, crosses a shared road/rail swing bridge, makes an S bend to the right, a truncated siding...
  18. rgmccau

I went to Hobart (Tasmania, Australia) for the first time last year, and saw the remains of the sidings around Constitution Dock/Franklin Dock. A few hours of scribbling back at our accommodation, and I had what seemed like a possible layout idea, namely an exhibition shunting layout with...
  19. rgmccau

What Track Planning Software Do You Use Poll

Pen, Paper and Trial and Error
  20. rgmccau

Ho radius turn question?

Back