Search results

1. Sudasana

Getting Started with Hand Laid Track

Thanks, Steve. Your post decided me. Fasttracks it is!
  2. Sudasana

The fasttracks forums seem full of horror stories of people who tried to use the templates but just can't seem to build a working turnout. Are they just hopeless at the fine detail work required when building track? I would like to support a small (and Canadian!) company, though.
  3. Sudasana

Thanks gndboy! I will look it up, there are a few second-hand copies out there.
  4. Sudasana

DIY Sectional Track with Integrated Roadbed?

Has anyone tried to create their own sectional track with integrated roadbed in the style of Kato's Unitrack or Bachmann's E-Z Track? I'm thinking of taking regular sectional track, adding a roadbed and base, and building a connector on either end that would hold the ends together securely and...
  5. Sudasana

N Scale Ideas

You might have trouble reaching into the corners with that layout, and thus it becomes wasted space. You could very well use it for background scenery, but I think with limited space as you appear to have, every bit matters. Why not have a peninsula in the middle rather than the large...
  6. Sudasana

Cardboard Baseboard?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think what I will do is pick up some foamcore or gatorboard and make some small test baseboards, building up layers and testing the strength. Selector - thanks for your summary of the issues involved. I hadn't even thought about puncture resistance...
  7. Sudasana

Cardboard Baseboard?

I am planning a very small layout that can eventually be packed for several overseas moves. I need some solution that will allow the layout to be stable and strong, but still be able to come apart once or twice a year. My current strategy is to build a 2.5 x 5 foot layout in two sections (each...
  8. Sudasana

I like the looks of the Fast Tracks system, but the initial cost is a little daunting right now. I think for turnouts it's well worth it, especially since they need to be very well made in order to work reliably, but for straight track and even for curves I think I'd like to start by building...
  9. Sudasana

Thanks guys. Any books or sections in books that might help me out?
  10. Sudasana

Can anyone recommend a set of tools and materials to help me get started with hand laying track? I'm looking to start building a couple small dioramas in Japanese N scale (1:150) and would like to start practicing laying the track by hand. The track itself will be standard 9mm N scale track...
  11. Sudasana

What happened to Spookshow?

Ah - thanks. I don't know why I didn't see his new posts.
  12. Sudasana

What happened to Spookshow?

Does anyone know what happened to Spookshow, the man behind this site: http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/trainstuff.html ? I really enjoyed his blog posts on building his n-scale layouts, and his listing of locos and rollings stock is really invaluable. On his last project there haven't been any...
  13. Sudasana

Electrical Q - Capacitor in a locomotive?

Smart Dummy There's a short article in the January 2010 issue of Model Railroader on page 68 that looks at wiring up a "smart dummy" B unit. It doesn't have a lot of detail, but it does some have interesting pointers and mentions some specific components that the author used.

Back