Search results

1. J

Newbie needs help with F7

gregind, Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. If you don't have one yet, I'd suggest picking up a copy of the Walther's HO Catalog. It is the largest wishbook that I know of in the model railroading industry. It has a lot of great products with pictures and descriptions in most...
  2. J

Anyone seen the Pic on P43 of the May Model Railroader?

Maybe this isn't modeling, but these are some of the things I do in addition to building models and running trains. :) It's all part of the fun. I do have to agree to a point about the digital manipulation of photos, though. When this is done, it takes away some of the elements that make...
  3. J

History Posts

After I voted, it was 10 to 0 in favor of keeping the history going... I think I see where this poll is going, too! Keep up the great posts!
  4. J

Freemo adapter module

How'd I know this would have something to do with APRIL? And it's just the beginning of the month!
  5. J

Railroad Poll

I have mostly UP models, but also include several of the fallen flags, so I checked "other." Besides UP, I have D&RGW, CB&Q and MP, and intend to add a few of the other western railroads in the future, such as SP, ATSF, CNW, GN, NP and WP (or at least a couple of them). My layout is not a...
  6. J

New 5 DCC system!

The magazine has been doing this in every April edition for as long as I can remember. This one was in the new product announcement section. Last year they had a magnetic layout that ran on the ceiling. I thought they were both pretty funny (and also pretty phony).
  7. J

athearn challengers

I'm not sure if mine's one of the newer ones, but I like it. I also have two Lionel Challengers that I also like quite a bit. The Athearn seems to run a little smoother than the Lionels, especially at extremely low speed. On the other hand, the Lionel seems to have much better sound than the...
  8. J

Hello!!!

Jim, Welcome to the hobby and to the forums. I'm sure I'm speaking for many others as well as myself when I say that we are glad to have you aboard. Since I'm across the country from you, I can't offer much in support of clubs in your area, but I do know there's a group on here that gets...
  9. J

eBay Question

Jim, out of curiousity, have you tried to list them on the "For Sale" forum on the Model Railroad Forums? It seems to me that there is a rather large target audience for that stuff here. Just my .02!
  10. J

diggitrax

I have a Prodigy Advance and am quite pleased with it. The things it doesn't have are things I didn't particularly need, but if you need them, you'd be better off with a different system. Some of those things are wireless control (though MRC may be coming out with this sometime soon), computer...
  11. J

1/87th Vehicles

I've seen them at several of the Wal Marts around me, but haven't bought any because they are all too new for the transition era I'm modeling. The only ones that are even close are the 1955 Chevy and the VW Bus and Bug. Since I'm modeling 1952 (give or take a year or two), even those models...
  12. J

Amazing the stupidity of advertisers Operation Life Saver

Well, I wasn't going to wait three hours to download these (still on dial-up, you know). I guess I'll just have to take everyone's word that these ads leave a lot to be desired. I believe the "Big 3" could do wonders for their vehicle sales (as well as our dependence on foreign oil) by...
  13. J

Help, my Engine Addiction is out of Control

I guess I fall into the "addict" category, too. When I was a kid and didn't have a lot of money to spend, I got into model railroading and only had a few engines. Now that I'm about thirty years older than those old days, I've re-discovered the hobby. About two years ago, I started to acquire...
  14. J

New MRC decoder for Switchers. What do you know?

Dave, I would say on your 25.4 or 24.5 rule, either is close enough. As a rule of thumb, I figure approximately 25mm per inch (not quite as precise as whichever one of the other two is correct, but close enough to determine approximate size). By doing this, I don't have to remember which of...
  15. J

Where Do You Buy Your Train Stuff??

When I go to my LHS's, none of which are really local, since they are all at least 50 miles from me, I usually end up buying something. I rarely walk out of any hobby shop empty handed, even ones that are very far from home. This summer I visited Caboose Hobbies in Denver and, of course...
  16. J

The Start of My Model RR

John, I would suggest using plexiglass at the edges as the others have mentioned, or maybe a short hardboard sideboard with a skyline (background scenery) painted or printed on it. My small layout is set up the same way yours is, and my track is very close to the edge. If I move it in, the...
  17. J

buying track

I personally use flex track that I bought in bulk. As for the sectional track that Atlas sells, usually these come in fairly small packages of four to six pieces each. There are also track plan sets you can buy that contain enough track for an entire layout as long as you follow the layout...
  18. J

Some business car help?

Here's UP's site about there business cars for starters: http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/histequp/business.shtml Perhaps BNSF has a similar site; it might be worth a look. I haven't looked for it, so I can't point you in that direction... sorry! -Joe
  19. J

Proto-2000 DCC comatibility

You'll do fine with the Zephyr and the P2K engines. There should not be any problems with compatibility with that combination. I would say that both are excellent choices.
  20. J

Proto-2000 DCC comatibility

The LL P2K engines with decoders installed are compatible with any NMRA compliant DCC system. This includes (but is not limited to) Digitrax, MRC, Bachmann, CVP, Atlas, Lenz and NCE. There are probably others out there that I am forgetting, but those are the most common ones I have knowledge...

Back