Search results

1. R

Help with layout design

Unfortunately, my last plans for a model railroad have been downsized. With the fortunate event of my decision to build a new desk in my room (It's about to collapse), I realized I could put a nice little N Scale layout above my monitor at 56" tall. So far, my design attempts have been having...
  2. R

The West Virginian, it's like the Virginian, but West

The layout will really be based on MRR's Cunningham's Gap in HO. The town will stay the same (except I will change the curved turnouts), but the fiddle yard will be changed to get a small town with a yard and possible locomotive servicing section. I plan on making the layout 54" high so I can...
  3. R

I have been ripping nails out of old pieces of wood (brings new meaning to the word "recycle" for Model Railroading) for almost an hour now. I have 2 more pine boards left. It snowed here in North Texas last night (makes even the oldest kids seem like children, everyone in my last class @ school...
  4. R

Which DCC System?

IDEA!!! I'm going with the Zephyr, and I thought of an Idea to fix the Zephyr's immobility. What if I was to mount it in to a wooden cabinet and build a mobile hangar that can go around my stomach (like a marching vest to hold up a marching snare drum). It would be fairly light so it wouldn't...
  5. R

Hopefully this weekend, I will be able to build (or mostly build) my first module. I plan to make this layout have two decks (I don't think I have quite enough room for storage and I would like to put in some effective planning techniques). I am STILL trying to decide what DCC system I will go...
  6. R

I saw that too, if you are referring to the plan in the February issue. I liked the way he used a semi-multi-deck WS's Mod-U-Rail system.
  7. R

I know. that is what I thought when I started setting up my first quickie (newbie) layout. newbie layout definition: Bachmann easy-track on 1" plywood.
  8. R

Which DCC System?

The duplex radio is, but the slightly cheaper one is something like I said it did. I wish they would cut out the simplex line and keep the duplex line (Everything that says "duplex" on it is about $10-$20 more. That is what I meant "to dish out some extra cash". But you are correct about the...
  9. R

Which DCC System?

It will be awhile before I actually buy my DCC system. I am now having second thoughts on NCE. My big concern is the warranty on the NCE stuff (I am kind of a klutz, not good when combined with model railroading). I like the Digitrax stuff and really not to concerned about the radio throttles. I...
  10. R

Littlefoot, that window is no problemo. I figured it all out. By cutting a few inches off the other end, I have more room for a good-sized town on the side of the window. Lucky me, I am thin enough to squeeze back there for a couple of years by walking sideways. I didn't get to working on it...
  11. R

Which DCC System?

Rem, as far as I know, any decoder should work with any DCC system. But, this should only be true to my knowledge if the decoder and system are both with NMRA's standards. But don't trust me, wait for someone to tell you if I'm wrong or right.:eek:
  12. R

Littlefoot14, I'm only a teen too. I plan on modeling west virginia (hooray for freelancing, I'm too lazy to research). I plan on modeling around the early 50's. The layout will have two decks (3 towns and 1 super tiny town is how I'm looking at it). The story so far: In the late 1920's, the...
  13. R

Yay! I have some pictures of the back room. As you can see I still have some cleaning up to do (Yes. It was messier). I'm one of those kinds of guys who stuff everything beneath the benchwork (that what it's there for:D). I will be talking about how the idea came to be later on and will do my...
  14. R

Which DCC System?

I have created the thread for my layout in progress. Its right below: The West Virginian :D
  15. R

Hooray! And so this long project begins. I will use the first post to talk about the story of how I was so lucky to get a tad larger than a 9' x 9' room: When I outgrew my twin-sized bed, I was lucky to get to move on up to the newest bed in the house (trust me, this is important to the...
  16. R

Which DCC System?

I liked the digitrax stuff until i looked at the price tag. To me, if I was going for digitrax, I would want to make it radio operated (it's cheaper than everybody else) but it seems like you have to dish out some extra cash (the idea of not being able to access all features without plugging in...
  17. R

Which DCC System?

Imackattack, I really am not to much of a fan of the MRC stuff, even though it's a whole lot cheaper than NCE. If I did go with MRC, than I'd just go straight for the wireless stuff because it's only $80 more than a powerhouse pro that is tethered. I would really like to go with NCE and I think...
  18. R

Which DCC System?

Funny story about the room (I'll talk about it in my thread). Where should I put the thread, I've never done one before. Once I get it up I'll post some pics!
  19. R

Which DCC System?

I'm thinking about the NCE power cab for pretty much the same reasons as you. It's fairly cheap to get started and I can expand easily as time goes on. My layout at a max is around 8' x 9' and will be freelanced through West Virginia. I will probably be running only about 4 trains anyway. I just...
  20. R

Which DCC System?

I'm in the process of designing my layout, the West Virginian. I realize that sooner or later that I will need to get a DCC system. I have come up with a conclusion of getting either the Lenz Set 100, the NCE power cab, or the NCE 5 amp powerhouse pro. I know a lot of people like the NCE stuff...

Back