Search results

1. VTRailway

Built my first kit but had a minor concern

Built my first kit ever after reading a lot on this forum. Felt pretty confident. Started off by washing with warm soapy water and leaving to dry for hours. Then grabbed a can of rustoleum gray primer. Dusted all the parts on the sprues. These were hung and allowed to dry for 24hrs in my shop...
  2. VTRailway

3d prints curving

So im really new to this 3d printing black art. I just picked up an Elegoo Saturn S 4k printer. Ive leveled the bed per the instructions. Ive printrd some calibration prints called the cones of calibration. After a couple attempts, i was able to have success. At least i think so anyway. Im...
  3. VTRailway

Atlas N scale gp40 with factory dcc

I bought an Atlas GP 40 DCC euiped without sound about ten years ago. It ran perfectly when new. The layout was taken apart and all rolling stock boxed up. Fast forward to this year. Got some track laid. Broke out the atlas from storage. Found it to run but not well. Cleaned the track. Same...
  4. VTRailway

Girder bridge in N scale

My first attempt at printing an 80' girder bridge in N scale came out fairly respectable. A couple of the edges near the ends didn't print perfectly. May have overcrowded the build plate or not raised the objects high enough off the build plate. Still lots to learn about printing but this is a...
  5. VTRailway

4"x7.5' section

I'm in the process of building a bedroom layout. The room is 11.5x11.5 roughly. The layout loops from a closet along the wall and needs to cross in front of two windows before proceeding down the opposite wall and then into the center of the room on a peninsula that will be home to a return loop...
  6. VTRailway

Auto throw and reverse loop

I'm struggling to understand how to accomplish an auto throw turnout that is connected to my hidden reverse loop. I have the following equipment but lacking the understanding on the following: Will the equipment I have allow me to accomplish the auto reverse and auto throw How to power the frog...
  7. VTRailway

Reverse loop newbie

Title pretty much sums it up. First time installing an auto reverser on my NCE power cab powered layout. The reverser is a DCC specialties ASR I bought many years ago when dabbling in the hobby. I have a reverse loop that comes off a #6 hand laid turnout with isolated power routed frog. The...
  8. VTRailway

NCE Power cab stopped working

Hey all. Been about a year since I touched my trains. When I walked away the system was working well. Building a new layout and will be using the existing NCE Power cab on the new layout. Disconnected the power panel from the old layout and hooked to the small section of track I've laid. Plugged...
  9. VTRailway

Rail industries through the years

This is a spin off from a question I posted that may help someone else that finds themself in a similar situation. I'm a newb to the world of trains and model railroading. As a result I don't always understand what industries are often rail served or even how this service is performed. To...
  10. VTRailway

Small trackside industry inspiration needed

Looking for a bit of help and inspirstion. I have a 10’ single track section im looking to add a couple small trackside industries to. My overall vision is a small rural town. Thinking of a scrap yard, small propane rail to truck transfer station, maybe a lumber store or just a small transfer...
  11. VTRailway

Bench work designs

Hey all. Getting ready to start putting my layout together. I have a room of roughly 11x11. I want to suspend the layout on the walls to minimize legs, allow for ample storage of totes underneath, and give an overall clean appearance. There will be a peninsula in the center of the room that...
  12. VTRailway

handlaid versus off the shelf turnout?

Looking for advice. Looking at building a multi level N scale layout. The lower level with staging yard and interchange yard plus a hand full of industries has the better part of 60 turnouts. I used anyrail software. In this I selected Peco med and large radius turnouts. I'm torn between hand...
  13. VTRailway

Small bedroom layout

Hey all. New guy here looking for some friendly feedback for a layout I've started to design. I've attached two images. The first is the room I have to work with. The second is a quick version of what I envision this to look like. I apologize for the rambling. Specifics of what I want in the...
  14. VTRailway

New guy looking to join

Hey all. New guy to this forum. Been dabbling in N scale for a few years now and looking to expand the layout into a small bedroom empire. Hoping to find some friendly people who like to share experience and knowledge with a rookie. Jay

Back