Search results

1. homersimpsonlikestrains

Electrical question - What is the difference between: wattage, volts, and amps?

I'm not an electrician but what is the difference between wattage, volts, and amps? What is the easiest and simplest way to understand this? For example, each quadrant of my house has a 15 amp maximum. If I use a 10 amp power supply for my G scale train will this come close to blowing out a fuse?
  2. homersimpsonlikestrains

HO scale Kato Superliners will run on 15” radius curves!

I just received my HO scale Kato superliner car today and it is able to run on 15” radius curves (despite a large overhang)!
  3. homersimpsonlikestrains

How do I lower the volume with Bachmann E-Z Command Plus?

How do I lower the master volume of my HO scale Bachmann DCC GP40 with the Bachmann E-Z Command Plus? The volume of my locomotive is very loud and it is hurting my ears. I don't want to run it silent, I just want to lower the volume in half.
  4. homersimpsonlikestrains

An interchangeable train layout!

Here is my interchangeable train layout that I can switch between N scale and HO scale. I can even hang the layout that I don’t feel like playing with on the wall like a picture frame. Each of these layouts have folding front legs and they can be folded down when not in use.
  5. homersimpsonlikestrains

Can the HO Kato P42 really run on tight radius curves?

Can the HO scale Kato P42 really run on tight radius curves (15 inches)? Or is this a typo on Kato? I'm referring to this: https://www.katousa.com/onlineshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_74_160&products_id=2190
  6. homersimpsonlikestrains

What is the HO scale measurement of this passenger car?

I recently acquired a 9 inch long passenger coach car made by Life-Like from ebay. What is the scale measurement of this car in HO if it is 9 inches long?
  7. homersimpsonlikestrains

Rails sprayed with WD40 - any risk of fire?

Can electrical sparks from a moving train ignite the WD40 that I sprayed onto the lionel fastrak to prevent it from rusting? Isn't WD40 flammable?
  8. homersimpsonlikestrains

Can you solder two tubular track together?

I am connecting 027 straight tubular track to 031 curved tubular track. Can I solder them at the joints and will the solder hold up together or will it break?
  9. homersimpsonlikestrains

How often are you supposed to lubricate n scale locomotives?

I noticed that after running my n scale locomotives for 30 minutes I have to add lubricant to the wheels or else they will have flaky on and off motion. Is this normal?
  10. homersimpsonlikestrains

Will WD-40 prevent rust?

Will this specific WD-40 prevent rust from building up again on Lionel tubular track? I am asking this because I dipped my used and rusty tubular track in vinegar for 24 hours and the rust was removed. Unfortunately the rust came back when I air dried them.
  11. homersimpsonlikestrains

Affordable city buildings?

I am planning on building a 3x6ft oval HO layout for short switching locomotives to run on and where can I find affordable city buildings like the ones on this website? https://www.gatewaynmra.org/2003/gateway-central-4x6-foot-small-ho-scale-model-railroad-layout/
  12. homersimpsonlikestrains

Attaching green felt to lionel tubular track layout?

How would I get green felt to stick on top of the wooden table for my lionel tubular train layout? Would a spray adhesive work?
  13. homersimpsonlikestrains

List of HO scale locomotives that can run on 15 inch curves?

Does anybody know where I can find a list of HO scale locomotives that can run on 15 inch radius curves without derailing? Can a F-unit or a 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2, 4-6-0, 4-4-0 loco run on those curves?
  14. homersimpsonlikestrains

Motorized wheels for paper BART model train?

I am planning on building an N scale BART train layout, and I found this site that produces paper models of BART trains: https://www.wurlington-bros.com/DC/BartTrain.html Does anybody know where I can get powered wheels that I can place underneath the paper model BART train?
  15. homersimpsonlikestrains

Where do you buy your trains from?

Where do you buy your model trains from? Local hobby shop, Amazon, Trainworld, ebay, train shows, etc?
  16. homersimpsonlikestrains

Spraying a cat when it’s on your layout?

Is squirting a cat’s face with water from a spray bottle an effective way to tell the cat to get off your train layout? And is this humane?
  17. homersimpsonlikestrains

Is DCC sound really required?

I’m building an N scale layout and do I really need sound equipped locomotives to enjoy the hobby? Can silent train layouts be enjoyable?
  18. homersimpsonlikestrains

Buying a locomotive with DCC sound vs converting a locomotive to DCC

Which is more practical: buying a locomotive with DCC and sound built in, or taking an analog locomotive and adding DCC and sound to it?
  19. homersimpsonlikestrains

Will a Kato locomotive bought from Japan work in the USA?

Will a Kato locomotive bought directly from Japan work in the USA that has a different voltage current?
  20. homersimpsonlikestrains

Do I need to use the Walthers Bright Boy track cleaner?

Do I need to use the Walthers Bright Boy track cleaner, or can I just use a regular eraser to clean the rails? https://www.walthers.com/bright-boy-abrasive-track-cleaner-standard-grit

Back