Search results

1. R

Loco dying at turn-out

Hi everyone, I'm still new to this so any help would be appreciated. I just ballasted my track and took a loco for a test run. When it reaches my 1st turn-out, the loco dies at the metal frog and the Powercab restarts. If I nudge it past the metal frog, it gets going again. I had caboose throws...
  2. R

Removing ballast

My ballast is too high, causing my locos to rock n roll and stop completely. What would be the best way to trim down my ballast? I've started to check my inside rails and clear ballast from there. To do between the 2 rails, can I just spray with alcohol and use a wire brush? Thanks in advance.
  3. R

Basic control panel ideas?

Hi everyone, Still relatively new to the hobby and very new to wiring. Looking for a basic concept for a panel that has DPDT switches for my tortoise machines. Not really interested in anything elaborate with LEDs etc but will consider it if they are an absolute must. Thanks in advance.
  4. R

Power packs for lighting?

Hello everyone, Still somewhat of a noob but looking to add lighting to my layout, first with structures. I read a lot of ppl recommend using a DC power pack to control lighting and I also have a terminal block that I could probably use. So would I connect the wires from the power pack into the...
  5. R

"CV can not read" on Power Cab after decoder install

Hello, I bought a DCC-ready loco a few months ago and finally got around to trying to install a decoder. I tested it on my layout and the Power Cab says "Can not read CV". I tried another loco on the layout and it works fine so it isn't my wires. Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm very...
  6. R

Help choosing 9-pin decoder

Hello, I recently purchased a DCC ready locomotive with a 9 pin plug. I am having issues trying to find a suitable decoder with sound. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  7. R

Ballasting with cork help

Hi everyone, just started to ballast my track and noticed that I need to build the ballast up significantly higher on the outside to get over the edge of the cork. I've tried sanding the edges but this does not seem to help much. Is this buildup normal? Should I be sanding the edges? Thanks in...
  8. R

Can someone help me with wiring a kill switch?

Hello, I am looking at installing a DCC kill switch on my layout. I meant to pick up a DPDT switch however got a SPST one by mistake. If I use the SPST, do I just do one wire to one side of the track and one to the bus wire? If a DPDT would be better, I can definitely get one. Thanks in advance.

Back