Search results

1. D

ST Maries River Railroad Log Flat

In various threads the subject of my log car project has come up. Well I finally have the first one done. So here it is. It starts life as a Red Caboose flat car. The decking is cut off of it. The frame is cut so its flat not a fish belly. The ends are covered in styrene sheet. Details are...
  2. D

Locomotive wiring questions

I am building a gp9 dummy loco out of an old Cox model. I have some what I am sure are basic questions. I do not have a layout yet but when I do it wil be DCC. I want to have control over the lighting in this loco. The front head lamp and ditch lights on one circuit, the rear head lamp on...
  3. D

Peeling Paint technique

Hey as soon as my current loco project is done I am going to start on my recently aquired Jordan Spreader. The prorotype one I am modeling is heavely weathered and has alot of peeling paint. Is there a technique to doing actual peeling paint? I was thinking like the look that paint stripper...
  4. D

Snow plow project

I want to build a snow plow used by my prototype. There is nothing like it from the manufacturers. So it will be a custom job. Maybe starting life as another similiar plow kit. Here is the bugger. The photo was obtained from http://www.barraclou.com/rail/cars/mow.html. I have several pictures of...
  5. D

Jordan Spreader

I want on in HO. Anyone dying to get rid of one or has anyone scratch built one. Why is it the that the thing you want is discontinued and hard as heck to find such is life. The one I am after is the Walthers one with the High plow. My prototype has one of these beastsand my yard just wont...
  6. D

Paint removal nothing working so far

I know this is a common subject and I have read much but this stuff is just kicking my butt. I have an old cox loco that I am trying to repaint. I tried Testors ELO first marginal results, removed decals and one layer of paint. Then I tried 91% alcohol, not much happend lifted small ares in...
  7. D

GP9 screens

I am detailing a couple of GP 9's you might have noticed by my persistance in other threads. I am gather a list of parts and suppliers. Anyone have good sources for gp7/9 detailing parts please share. The main thing I am asking here are screens or screen material. I want to remove the stock...
  8. D

I need advice..New wife or innovative layout

I have a problem. I am planning a layout. I have a room that is roughly 15X11. It is supposed to be a multi purpose room with TV computors, video games ect. WhenI add this room onto my house it was decided we could decorate it in a train theme. It was to include an HO layout around the ceiling...
  9. D

Whats the best looking paint scheme?

I had an idea to see what is out there in the way of paint schemes. Who has the sharpest looking locos. I'll start by saying that St Maries River Railroad is thes coolest I have seen.
  10. D

masking a loco for painting

I am not there yet but I have a question. I want to redo several locos to match my prototype. I have started on my first one. I got it stripped and primed and began painting. I had a heck of a time trying to mask the engine to switch colors. The paint always ran in the grooves I could never seal...
  11. D

To DCC or to Dummy a cox loco

I thought I bought two trainline GP-9 low hoods on ebay. However I didn't read close enough and one of them is a Cox. Its an old looking loco. I don't have much experience as i am getting back into this since i was a kid. I want to run my layout DCC and in another post i got answers to making...
  12. D

An era ends

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet on this forum or not. An era in railroading history came to an end last year. The last true log train in the US finally stop its log hauling operation. St Maries River Railroad (STMA) in St Maries Idaho has stopped hauling logs. STMA formed in 1980 when...
  13. D

Trainline GP9's

Hello, I just bought two trainline GP9's. I bought them because they are about the only low hood versions I can find. I needed the low hoods for my prototype. Anyway, how hard are they going to be to convert to DCC. I have never done it before but it doesn't sound to tuff. I just wonder if...
  14. D

decals

I am repainting some box cars to fit my prototype (St Maries River Railroad) and need to apply all the various decals back on. Do most decals have all the super small lettering and stenciling that is on a freight car?. I will do the railroad name and the road nimbers but all the generic stuff I...
  15. D

truck identification

Can anyone help identify this truck. I want to use Kadee trucks (HO) and am not 100% sure what it is. My guess is Vulcan?
  16. D

HO sawmill suggestions

Hello all I am new to this list and basiclly new to the hobby. Had a layout(if you could call it that) as a kid, but now that im older and have the space Im starting anew. Im building a sawmill, I have to custom build it for the space it is going in and want some ideas. I am looking for...

Back