Search results

1. V

WeHonest Railroad Crossing Servo Problems

Hi, I've been installing crossing gates. I'm using the "WeHonest" system. The train sensors, the sound, and the lights all work well. It also can trigger a servo motor to rotate, so you can have the crossing gate arm go down. Attaching the servo to the crossing gate arm was quite a trick...
  2. V

Broken steam locomotive drive bar

I was just finishing up adding a DCC chip to a 50 or so year old locomotive when suddenly a drive bar fell out of its wheel! Surprising since I hadn’t been doing anything to it. Anyway, I can see how to line everything up to reattach it, but I can’t figure out how to screw it back in. The pin...
  3. V

New Generation - Upgrading Turntable and Yards

My Dad was an avid model railroader. I ran the trains and made a few models and scenery with him, but I didn’t do too much because he was more of a perfectionist than a teacher, so teaching a kid to model railroad was challenging. He had a complete B&O model railroad in our house, and then as...
  4. V

Taking Shell Off Steam Locomotive

I am trying to take the shell off a steam locomotive my Dad bought. Its probably about 15 to 25 years old. I don't know the brand or have any documentation on it. I found two tabs on the sides of the cab that allowed the back of the shell to lift up. I also removed one screw from the bottom...
  5. V

Decoder Connector

Hi, I've been hard wiring decoders into non-DCC engines, but my Dad had one DCC-ready steam locomotive that he bought 10 to 20 years ago that has never had a decoder. It has the attached adapter. It looks to me like a 9-pin, but I don't see how a 9-pin decoder would fit into it. Does...
  6. V

Sound Decoders

Hi, I'm starting to convert a bunch of my Dad's old DC diesel and steam locomotives that are mostly about 50 years old to DCC. So far I started with converting two, one with no sound and one with sound. The number of options of sound decoders and speakers is a bit overwhelming to parse...
  7. V

DCC Decoder Warm

Hi, I am for the first time upgrading a DC locomotive to DCC. Its an Athearn locomotive and I am using a Digitrax decoder. I am greatly benefiting from videos by Dennis461 and the DCC Guy. I initially had some success, but it quickly failed. I had some sparking inside the engine and...
  8. V

Help understanding locomotive wiring

Hi, My 8 year old twins and I are starting to work on my Dad's old model railroad. I was considering trying to convert some of his old DC locomotives to DCC. I would guess this locomotive is about 50 to 65 years old. It runs well. I recall my Dad put new motors in many of his locomotive...

Back