Atlas #56 turnout switch

Toolbelt

do both transformer AC leads need to feed through these switches, or can you just feed the hot wire through the switch and run the common wire direct from the transformer to the turnout solenoid? Does the switch only control the hot wire while passing through the common feed?

If memory serves me right (sorry been years) you have three wires going to each switch. and then on the side you have your positive and negative wires.

IMG_2079.jpeg

From the factory, you have a pair of wires from the ac output of the power pack, they go to the two terminals on the slide switch that comes with the turnout. There are three wires that go from that to the motorized part of the turnout to control it. They are momentary contact, don’t hook them up to continuous power or you’ll destroy the switch.

yes, and one wire of that AC pair would be common, so I was curious if I could just hook the common from the transformer direct to all switch solenoids (center terminal) and bypass the switch with it, using the switch to control the hot wire only (to control the solenoid function)? Or are these switches single pole/double throw? I assume the solenoid needs the common plus two switched hots (one for each direction of throw). But does the switch itself really need a common fed to it if I instead feed the common directly to the center position on the turnout itself?

And I'll add to bnxf971 post. Also do not hold the button down for very long or you will burn out your switch motor. If you think your switch might be bad, change it. Because they are a momentary contact button and if something is wrong with the button and it sticks, you burned up your switch motor in a heart beat.

Hope that all makes sense.

yes, and one wire of that AC pair would be common, so I was curious if I could just hook the common from the transformer direct to all switch solenoids (center terminal) and bypass the switch with it, using the switch to control the hot wire only (to control the solenoid function)? Or are these switches single pole/double throw? I assume the solenoid needs the common plus two switched hots (one for each direction of throw). But does the switch itself really need a common fed to it if I instead feed the common directly to the center position on the turnout itself?
You are correct. You can bypass the electrical switch and take the common wire straight to the center terminal of the turnout solenoids. Then run the hot wire to the electrical switches, and two hot wires from each switch to a turnout solenoid outer terminals, one for each direction of throw.

Take heed as the others say, push and immediately release the button to operate the turnout solenoids. Do not hold the button down for any length of time, even as little as one or two seconds, as you could burn out the solenoid.

You are correct. You can bypass the electrical switch and take the common wire straight to the center terminal of the turnout solenoids. Then run the hot wire to the electrical switches, and two hot wires from each switch to a turnout solenoid outer terminals, one for each direction of throw.

Take heed as the others say, push and immediately release the button to operate the turnout solenoids. Do not hold the button down for any length of time, even as little as one or two seconds, as you could burn out the solenoid.
Ok that's great. I was hoping to just daisy chain the common wire to groups of turnouts direct from the transformer rather than running a separate common from each switch to each turnout, which seems a waste of wire. I realize I need to run a hot wire to each switch then a pair of switched hot wires from the switch to the left and right solenoid connections on the switch.

Ok that's great. I was hoping to just daisy chain the common wire to groups of turnouts direct from the transformer rather than running a separate common from each switch to each turnout, which seems a waste of wire. I realize I need to run a hot wire to each switch then a pair of switched hot wires from the switch to the left and right solenoid connections on the switch.
I kinda' figured that is what you had in mind. I might have done the same thing.

Back