Amfeist

I have small double loop n scale layout with turnouts connecting the two loops. I just finished wiring the layout for DCC, and when i run one locomotive, everything works flawlessly, but when i add a second locomotive, they work briefly, then the entire layout loses power. Any insight as to what may cause this? I am using the NCE starter system. Thanks!!

My first impression is insufficient power. You may have the voltage, but amperage is important too.
What is you power supply or is it integrated with the NCE system?
Can you run either loco by itself on the tracks?

The power supply is integrated in the system, and yes both locomotives work fine by themselves. My layout is very small, only 3’x4’ if that makes a difference

Sounds like your power pack doesn't have sufficient amperage rating to handle both engines at the same time. You might need a booster unit.

Sounds like your power pack doesn't have sufficient amperage rating to handle both engines at the same time. You might need a booster unit.
Could it be a short kicking th ebreaker? He didn’t say where they stopped, or it the locos were running independent or in consist, or if they stopped at the same place. That crossover miht be wired wrong. No problems until two units jump a gap.

We need to know what 'loses power' means. Do the engines just stall, does the system beep and cut off track power...what? I think it might be a faulty power supply or transformer.

We need to know what 'loses power' means. Do the engines just stall, does the system beep and cut off track power...what? I think it might be a faulty power supply or transformer.
Yes the system beeps and kills the power to the entire layout. It happens at random points, not just over turnouts

Yes the system beeps and kills the power to the entire layout. It happens at random points, not just over turnouts
Do the engines have sound, or just DCC?
Are you using the NCE Power Cab?
What brand and model locomotives?
What brand and model decoders?
Are the engines running by themselves, or are they pulling a train? Are any of the cars lighted?

Do the engines have sound, or just DCC?
Are you using the NCE Power Cab?
What brand and model locomotives?
What brand and model decoders?
Are the engines running by themselves, or are they pulling a train? Are any of the cars lighted?
I am using the NCE Power Cab. The first locomotive is a Bachmann K4 Pacific 4-6-2 with sound, and whatever factory decoder comes with, and the second locomotive is a broadway limited M1b 4-8-2 with sound and again whatever factory decoder comes with. All tests have been done without cars so far

I am using the NCE Power Cab. The first locomotive is a Bachmann K4 Pacific 4-6-2 with sound, and whatever factory decoder comes with, and the second locomotive is a broadway limited M1b 4-8-2 with sound and again whatever factory decoder comes with. All tests have been done without cars so far
Each of those engines draws over an amp, and the Power Cab only has about 1.4 amps output. The system is shutting down because the amp draw is too high.

Each of those engines draws over an amp, and the Power Cab only has about 1.4 amps output. The system is shutting down because the amp draw is too high.
1 amp per decoder is pretty high for a current era decoder, especially in N scale.
That might be the stall current draw if the loco was held in place at full throttle and motor not turning.

Back