Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from an unseasonably warm So. Central Wisconsin. 66f degrees yesterday! Today the weather app says 70 at 3pm then the wake up it’s still Winter drop begins. 29f degrees for the high tomorrow with an overnight low of 16. Winds in the 30’s this late afternoon with overnight gusts into the 40 mph range and maybe 1” of snow.

I have a client coming to pickup some cars and drop more off, late morning. He’s from Tennessee but travels to a few places very nearby as a road warrior.

I have another guy but semi local who wants some FBOX yellow and Oxide color high cubes. I put 12 on the layout for him to review along with 6 covered hopper 2 bay Intermountain cars in cement service. 1 bulkhead and 2 center beams and a bunch of steel girder loads for bulkhead flats are also out per his request. This could be a happy $$$ day. Reducing the fleet to make the April move easier.

Troy, have you tried using Ai for a backdrop yet? I’m thinking I’d like to try that.

SOS please Flo with a very icy cold diet Dr Pepper please.

enjoy the day

Last edited:
Good Morning!
-13F with some arctic air swinging into the area. I'll soon be going out to shovel the overnight snow.

I've spent some time trying to dig up as much information and photos as I can, of the CN depot that once serviced my town. I'm interested in the details that surrounded the building. It quite interesting what can be found on an internet search:
WtCrtStation.jpg

Anyway, I'd better get out there and shovel the snow! Kids will be walking to school soon.
Have a wonderful day!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and let's see, 65°. A bit warm for this time of day in February. Slept with the windows open and the ceiling fan on last night, the second in a row. Won't be able to leave the window open tonight since there will be a wind shift around midnight and the low in the morning will be 39°. Beat the expectation and record yesterday and it was 94° for about 2 hours! Only expecting 86° today due to the cloud cover. Mid to low-50's tomorrow and Thursday with that chance of rain Thursday, then back to the seasonal 70's for a while.

The pulmonologist visit yesterday was just a normal one. He expects me to live for a while, as the next appointment with him is scheduled a year away in February 2025. When I got home, I mowed the front (east side) of the yard, and part of the back yard. 45 minutes on the tractor/mower really rattled my body, as I was sore most of the rest of the day!:( Today I will tackle the south side and the part of the back yard that I didn't finish yesterday. I didn't attack the tree pile, but I cleaned up and got the chainsaw ready. The wood ashes are also out of the heater.

I see some sprouts in the tomato flat that I planted last week, so out into the sunlight today. Five days germination time this season which is quick.

I spent a short time out in the train shed yesterday. I painted some of the 70 headstones that I made Sunday, but I haven't set them in place yet. I'm still contemplating what my wife said about placing them too close together, and the only comment that I got from you guys put it back on me!;) So I also resumed inspecting and cleaning freight cars. I am very happy to report that since the cataract surgery last summer, I can now replace a Kadee coupler spring without the Optivisors or even the reading glasses. It's been 25 years since I could do that.
Speaking of the train shed, I ran across a few pictures of it while I was building it a few years ago.
12-18-09 045.JPG
12-18-09 048.JPG

12-18-09 053.JPG

And one of the shop/store room on the west end of the building itself.
12-18-09 054.JPG

Guy - Not willing to put any names on the headstones, as that might just be a curse.;)
Possum - Those measurements put the Evemodel wheelsets at the same length as Intermountain, which are the shortest ones that I regularly use.
Chad -
Amazon anywhere is not easy to contact (but it can be done)
It's a shame that a company of their size takes customer service so lightly. But I guess that I still have old-fashioned attitudes and expectations. It's almost like these millennials who can't hold a conversation unless they're texting.
Joe - According to my primary care doctor, Medicare won't pay for diabetes glucose testing supplies (among other things) unless he sees me a certain number of times a year. And they require him (or his staff) to ask about all of the falls and depression questions which I don't answer. His nurse just fills out the paperwork since I just wave her off. I see him quarterly anyway, just because I want to. I have weaned myself away from some other physicians unless he advises that I see them.

Elizabeth Taylor could have been 92 today, had she not passed in 2011. I have to admit that I never saw any of her movies all of the way through, although I have seen parts of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"; but only because my wife is a devoted Paul Newman fan.

Everyone have a terrific Tuesday.

Last edited:
We'd been having late March or early April weather but a cold front came through last night and it went from around 50F to a 23F this morning. And there is white stuff out there. It had been 50s and even a 60F the last week and the last couple weeks had been 40-50F most of the time. I don't think this will last but the forecast shows rain or rainb/frozen mix this weekend with a coupld nicer days in between.

House is coming along but too slowly. I'll post an update when I get some more pics. Lots of things done.

Gas (non Walmart) here hit $3.09 and then split as some stations went down to $2.99 and otehrs went up to $3.19. Walmart hit a high of $2.99 and was $2.87 yesterday.

Morning all,

Currently 49° and clear high later of 81°. High wind and fire warnings out for today, cold front coming through late this afternoon, possibility of snow overnight. Overnight low of 23°.

SOS, I haven't had that in years, but looks good. Bring me some as well Flo. Thanks.
Ok I will bite! What is SOS?

With the cuisine sometimes discussed in here, I'm leery to ask!

Joe - According to my primary care doctor, Medicare won't pay for diabetes glucose testing supplies (among other things) unless he sees me a certain number of times a year. And they require him (or his staff) to ask about all of the falls and depression questions which I don't answer. His nurse just fills out the paperwork since I just wave her off. I see him quarterly anyway, just because I want to. I have weaned myself away from some other physicians unless he advises that I see them.
Medicare is picky about diabetes glucose testing. My first (now retired), Cardiologist sent me for a full blood work-up, which included A-1-C, something I don't recall ever having before. The phlebotomist, from Quest, asked me how frequently I had A-1-C, tests, because Medicare restricted it to once / year, unless Medical Necessity dictated otherwise. I would imagine your primary has you coming in on a regular basis to establish Medical Necessity.
Not having that particular issue, I simply didn't know.

Troy - That looks like an M4A4 Sherman with 75mm.
Jaz - Thankyou for the kind words.
Not-with-standing that I don't care for the roof style on that brick building, I must note you've done a fantastic job on the brick paint and weathering. Well done, indeed! - Is the gravel used around the building ballast material or real crushed rocks?

Seems the coffee shop has been a-bit slow this afternoon. I'm guessing there is a hockey or football game on.
If I remember I mixed modelling bags, two sizes n and 00 and both had more than one colour, so it is less uniform and the extra texture and colours give a better effect imo

Morning folks

Appears we have drawn mostly sunshine to go along with the present 11F. It was 5F earlier. I have about 5" of new snow to relocate but I'm going to wait a bit. The Toolcat 5600 is a lot happier starting at 20F.

Willie: There used to be a "run" off the ridge at Bridger Bowl called Sometimes, as in sometimes a great notion. I'm a Newman fan too. That run isn't even shown on the present maps, not sure why. It was always good for a small endorphin rush. I know both "Bridger Bowl" and the "ridge" have close to zero meaning here but it was, and is, some just excellent challenging skiing.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://bridgerbowl.com/pdfs/mountain/ridge-guide.pdf

This is looking across the top of the B and C routes on that map, with Saddle Peak at the far end. I took that in 1974 while I was on the pro patrol there. Our present residence is less than 4 miles from Saddle Peak on the west side of the ridge.
53506996451_8ca6057a84_b.jpg

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with fond memories of Army/Navy/Marines/Coastie food. (From what I'm told by the ground ponders and wet-navy, the AF and RAF got all the good food).

TOM: AI for background on the MRR??? Hmmmmmmm? It could work, but it's not as high res as I'd like. It would probably work for vignette scenes, not a long rolling landscape. If mean adding to the photos I shoot, I could, but that's more work than I want to spend for social media pics.

As for Guess the Tank... Those who said a "Sherman" were mostly correct. The hint was in "you can't see the top"

The one I was printing in that photo is on the RIGHT in this photo.
429779904_7279216885478756_5377895839289120802_n.jpg

that's a Sherman on the left. His "big brother" is on the right. And it has a British accent when it barks. Note that the MG port on the front has been covered over. Other than the spare tracks on the brother's front, they're the same body.

Good morning, all! A warm, 72 degrees, and very windy day. Gusts are exceeding 25 mph. Predictions are a cold front will come through around midnight and we will awake to temps in the 50's, and they will drop during the day.

SOS - Probably my favorite breakfast while in the Coast Guard. However, their version was made with ground beef.

American Model Builder shutting down is a bummer. That was my second favorite kit maker.

I hope to get some train time later today.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good evening folks, 18.34 here.
When I said hello to my bakery folks, he was busy replacing the price list for Ice cream (before the season starts).
He was about to dump the huge A2 (??) pieces. Suddenly I realized it was made of foam (3mm ?) so tonight I will clean the boards and have free model stuff! Happy girl form Holland here.
I done the second paint job on the little piece of foam to get me a piece of brick wall or pavement (platforms in the earlier days).
Will be continued. Tomorrow i have to go to the station and take a lot of measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back