A railroad book thread

Vince-RA

I could have sworn there was a book thread floating around somewhere, but I can't find it. My apologies if I've missed it.

I have become a little obsessed with reading about railroading, late 1800s through early 1900s in particular. Some of this is in support of my eventual plans to create a layout based on central Vermont granite railroads, but a lot of it is just because I really enjoy the variety and pioneering spirit you see in those early days. Anyway, figured I would make a thread to recommend some recent favorites, as well as get some recommendations from others.

Playing with Trains: A Passion Beyond Scale - this is about model railroading, and specifically the author's journey in the hobby beginning in childhood. Really a wonderful book in every way, and I'm sure will speak directly to anyone who spends even a little bit of time on these forums.

Vermont's Granite Railroads: The Montpelier and Wells River and the Barre and Chelsea - A highly detailed look at short line railroads serving Barre's granite industry. This book, along with Sky Route to the Quarries : History of the Barre Railroad, has inspired a lot of my scratch modeling of flat cars and granite loads.

Extra South - A meandering and often whimsical look into (mostly) small railroads in the South in the steam era. There are some great stories, as well as great photos.

Maine Two Footers - A great read on the old two foot gauge railroads in Maine along with a few in Massachusetts. This was originally printed in 1959, and as such includes first hand accounts of the roads.

I love reading books and magazines. My late favorite is this classic:
31057437201.jpg

There was an incredible variety both in New Jersey and Pennsylvania back during steam years. I also tend to read about what i model. Extra bonus in this book is a section with locomotive drawings in the back. While not exhaustive, it deffinitely shows the variety and diversity of the era.

Whilst at a local model railway exhibition a bookseller was closing down his business. The books he was selling were at a vastly reduced price.

Two books on the 'Border Counties Railway' (BCR). were purchased. A fact about the line is it was always called the B.C.R. all its life. The North British Railway took control of it almost after it was built. During its London & North Eastern Railway days it was still called the Border Counties Railway; and into its days as part of British Railways.

IMG_2985[1].JPG

Back